How to Reach Honolulu - The Easiest Way to Reach Honolulu
- By Plane: Hononulu International Airport – served by most American airlines and various Pacific ones. The Airport Waikiki Express ($9) is a quick trip to hotels in Waikiki, and leaves in every 30 minutes.
- City Buses also run between the airport and the city ($2.50), though you better have the exact change. Flights to Honolulu are usually expensive.
- By Ships: These travel very frequently between Honolulu Harbour and the USA Mainland, and are practically part of the attractions of Honolulu.
- By Bus: The network is called “The Bus”, and it’s a neatly scheduled system. Adult charge is $2.50. You’ll get a free transfer ticket to another bus – valid for 2 hours, if you ask for it. You could also buy a monthly pass ($60), or a 4 day ($25) Discovery Pass. Buses are equipped with bike racks.
- By Taxi: You can hire a taxi to travel around the city.
- By Car: You can also hire a car.
Honolulu’s roads are aligned to its geography – they follow the natural contours of the land. You will definitely need a map if you’re driving around. Keep your GPS close too. It’s best to familiarise yourself with the following terminology:
- Mauka: Towards the mountain (roughly North on this island).
- Makai: Towards the sea (roughly South on this island).
- Ewa – West
- Diamond Head: Roughly East
- Downtown Honolulu is just called the Town.
Other things to know:
- Roads are narrow and cars drive close to each other.
- Speed limits are low (25 – 30 mph), but people actually drive much slower than that.
Though you can also get around on taxis and cars, use the bus or bicycles unless you’re going out of the city.
Are you looking for a Honolulu travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Honolulu
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Honolulu. The most preferred mode of transport in Honolulu is Car.
Average distance: 21.69 km Average time: 44.07 min
Car 87.1%Driving 43.37 min Overall average time for 22.53 kms 43.37 min
Bus/Trolleybus 6.45%Bus 32.5 min Waiting 12.5 min Walking 8.5 min Overall average time for 10.46 kms 53.5 min
How to Reach Honolulu from Nearby Cities
|Joint Base Pearl Harbor-hickam to Honolulu||9.22 km||9 mins|
|Aiea to Honolulu||10.33 km||10 mins|
|Pearl City to Honolulu||15.1 km||15 mins|
|Kaneohe to Honolulu||16.33 km||25 mins|
|Kailua to Honolulu||18.16 km||26 mins|
|Ewa Beach to Honolulu||33.77 km||55 mins|
|Wahiawā to Honolulu||37.05 km||52 mins|
|Kahuku to Honolulu||60.96 km||1 hour 36 mins|
|Kahului to Honolulu||161.39 km||36 mins|
|Honokaa to Honolulu||293.88 km||4 hours 53 mins|
- How to reach Kaaawa
- How to reach Kapalua
- How to reach Lahaina
- How to reach Kihei
- How to reach Wailea-makena
- How to reach Maui
- How to reach Kapaa
- How to reach Haleakala National Park
- How to reach Kilauea
- How to reach Miami
- How to reach Los Angeles
- How to reach New York City
- How to reach Chicago
- How to reach Las Vegas
- How to reach San Francisco