How to Reach Honolulu
- By Plane: Hononulu International Airport – served by most American airlines and various Pacific ones. The Airport Waikiki Express ($9) is a quick trip to hotels in Waikiki, and leaves in every 30 minutes.
- City Buses also run between the airport and the city ($2.50), though you better have the exact change. Flights to Honolulu are usually expensive.
- By Ships: These travel very frequently between Honolulu Harbour and the USA Mainland, and are practically part of the attractions of Honolulu.
- By Bus: The network is called “The Bus”, and it’s a neatly scheduled system. Adult charge is $2.50. You’ll get a free transfer ticket to another bus – valid for 2 hours, if you ask for it. You could also buy a monthly pass ($60), or a 4 day ($25) Discovery Pass. Buses are equipped with bike racks.
- By Taxi: You can hire a taxi to travel around the city.
- By Car: You can also hire a car.
Honolulu’s roads are aligned to its geography – they follow the natural contours of the land. You will definitely need a map if you’re driving around. Keep your GPS close too. It’s best to familiarise yourself with the following terminology:
- Mauka: Towards the mountain (roughly North on this island).
- Makai: Towards the sea (roughly South on this island).
- Ewa – West
- Diamond Head: Roughly East
- Downtown Honolulu is just called the Town.
Other things to know:
- Roads are narrow and cars drive close to each other.
- Speed limits are low (25 – 30 mph), but people actually drive much slower than that.
Though you can also get around on taxis and cars, use the bus or bicycles unless you’re going out of the city.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Honolulu. The most preferred mode of transport in Honolulu is Car.
Average distance: 20.75 km Average time: 43.22 min
Car 88.24%Driving 42.53 min Overall average time for 21.44 kms 42.53 min
Bus/Trolleybus 5.88%Bus 32.5 min Waiting 12.5 min Walking 8.5 min Overall average time for 10.46 kms 53.5 min
|Halawa to Honolulu||8.97 km||8 mins|
|Joint base pearl harbor-hickam to Honolulu||9.81 km||9 mins|
|Aiea to Honolulu||10.33 km||10 mins|
|Kaneohe to Honolulu||11.46 km||11 mins|
|Pearl city to Honolulu||15.1 km||15 mins|
|Ewa beach to Honolulu||16.12 km||16 mins|
|Kailua to Honolulu||16.44 km||16 mins|
|Waipahu to Honolulu||18.02 km||18 mins|
|Marine corps base hawaii to Honolulu||18.39 km||18 mins|
|Mililani to Honolulu||22.2 km||22 mins|