How to Reach Honolulu
The Easiest Way to Reach Honolulu
- By Plane: Hononulu International Airport – served by most American airlines and various Pacific ones. The Airport Waikiki Express ($9) is a quick trip to hotels in Waikiki, and leaves in every 30 minutes.
- City Buses also run between the airport and the city ($2.50), though you better have the exact change. Flights to Honolulu are usually expensive.
- By Ships: These travel very frequently between Honolulu Harbour and the USA Mainland, and are practically part of the attractions of Honolulu.
- By Bus: The network is called “The Bus”, and it’s a neatly scheduled system. Adult charge is $2.50. You’ll get a free transfer ticket to another bus – valid for 2 hours, if you ask for it. You could also buy a monthly pass ($60), or a 4 day ($25) Discovery Pass. Buses are equipped with bike racks.
- By Taxi: You can hire a taxi to travel around the city.
- By Car: You can also hire a car.
Honolulu’s roads are aligned to its geography – they follow the natural contours of the land. You will definitely need a map if you’re driving around. Keep your GPS close too. It’s best to familiarise yourself with the following terminology:
- Mauka: Towards the mountain (roughly North on this island).
- Makai: Towards the sea (roughly South on this island).
- Ewa – West
- Diamond Head: Roughly East
- Downtown Honolulu is just called the Town.
Other things to know:
- Roads are narrow and cars drive close to each other.
- Speed limits are low (25 – 30 mph), but people actually drive much slower than that.
Though you can also get around on taxis and cars, use the bus or bicycles unless you’re going out of the city.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to Honolulu and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in Honolulu
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Honolulu. The most preferred mode of transport in Honolulu is Car.
Average distance: 20.02 km Average time: 42.52 min
Car 85.19%Driving 41.57 min Overall average time for 20.85 kms 41.57 min
Bus/Trolleybus 7.41%Bus 32.5 min Waiting 12.5 min Walking 8.5 min Overall average time for 10.46 kms 53.5 min
- How to reach Cities Near Honolulu
- How to reach Wheeler Army Airfield
- How to reach Schofield Barracks
- How to reach Kealia
- How to reach Nānākuli
- How to reach Pukalani
- How to reach Nīnole
- How to reach Haiku
- How to reach Hanapepe
- How to reach Maunawili
- How to reach Puunene
- How to reach Barbers Point Housing
- How to reach Milolii
- How to reach Cities around the world
- How to reach Wever
- How to reach Godhar
- How to reach Cutler
- How to reach Gullegem
- How to reach Cembo Elementary School
- How to reach Velayuthapuram
- How to reach Bronson
- How to reach Tohoku
- How to reach Te Miko
- How to reach Tompkins