The Museum District in Houston is an area which incorporates all the best museums both free as well as ticketed within the city. The variety of themes and fields,that the museums belong to, is astonishing.
19 museums of diverse themes can be found in this area, 11 of which are free for the public, the Buffalo Soldiers Museum, The Houston Zoo, the Holocaust Museum of Houston and the Contemporary arts museum are some of the most notable of these.
A visit to the museum district is sure to be an enriching experience. The fascinating aspects of art, science as well as education have all been brought together in a truly wonderful manner here. There are also several events and exhibitions that take place in the district quite often. In many ways the museum district is the social and cultural heart of the city and a definite must visit.
Museum District Travel Tips
- The following museums are always free- Asia Society Texas Center (all spaces except Louisa StudeSarofim Gallery) Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, DiverseWorks (Gallery Space), Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston Center for Photography, Houston Museum of African American Culture, The Jung Center of Houston, Lawndale Art Center, The Menil Collection, Rice University Art Gallery, Rothko Chapel.
- Ticketed Museums are Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, Children's Museum of Houston Czech Center Museum Houston The Health Museum - The John C. Freeman Weather Museum, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston Zoo The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
- Ticket prices of other museums vary.
- The address and contact details given are for the museum office. The timings are largely the same for all museums.
How to Reach Museum District
- Richmond Dr at Yuppon Street.
- Pepino’sitalina Restaurant
- Lucky Burger
- Black Hole Coffee House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Houston before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Houston and book an accommodation of your choice.
42.62% of people who visit Houston include Museum District in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
44.05% of people start their Museum District visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Museum District
84.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Museum District