With so many monikers to it; the sculpting capital of Taiwan, being the most prominent one, Hualien is Taiwan’s second largest city. It is the abundant hiking opportunities at the Taroko National Park among others that give you close rendezvous with natural beauty of this Chinese island, that have visitors shuffling to and through Hualien. As you explore Hualien you are likely to realize the surfeit of marble sculptures all across the city, only to account for the fact the city is one of the world’s biggest sourcing country for marble. Hualien’s economy is highly tourism-based, followed by its marble industry. This has led to a lot of new restaurants and tea shops surfacing throughout the city, lending this cozy, intimate vibe to the whole region. All in all, Hualien is a place where you can explore untouched natural goodness, lots of adventure, spiritualism, great authentic food and retail to a small extent.
Its budget-friendliness has attracted budget travelers and backpackers in the past few years. If you plant to visit Hualien, you must know that January is the best time to visit this city, while anytime until April is favorable. It is well-connected by most domestic flights and railways. Explore the surfeit of natural goodness here on foot or rent a bike to get to the regions a little too far to walk. A lifetime of cherishing memories, is what you can look forward to on your sojourn to Hualien.
Essential travel information and Hualien tips for your visit
- Time Zone: China Standard Time; GMT+8
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 220 V/ 60 Hz. Internet in the form of wi-fi is available at most of the hotels, restaurants and places of interest.
- Languages: Standard Mandarin is the official language Hualien. Amis, Bunun are some of the many local and tribal languages you will hear in Hualien. English is spoken and understood by many.
- Security: Dial 119 for Ambulance and Fire; 110 for Police
- Tipping: Tipping in Hualien is not expected, unless you are at an international hotel.
Hualien Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Hualien. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Hualien trip planner.