Hehuan Peak EntranceCurrently Open
- Address: 合歡山遊客服務中心 (Hehuanshan Visitor Center), 台14甲線, 972, Taiwan, Hualien County, Xiulin Township
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +886-492803985
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Family And Kids, Nature
Conquering the peaks of Acacia Mountain (Hehuanshan) can be a little confusing for foreign visitors, and sometimes it can even be confusing for locals. So here are some quick facts you need to know:
- There are three mountain peaks here: North, East, and Main. All three peaks have their own trail heads
- North Peak Trailhead: 24°09'56.5"N 121°17'21.7"E. This is the highest, and the best peak for sunrise and sunsets. It’s also the hardest trail, with a 4-6 hour round trip. The sea of clouds and the panoramic views make it worth it, though.
- Main Peak Trailhead: 24°08'01.3"N 121°16'17.9"E. A 90 minute roundtrip with some staggering views.
- East Peak Trailhead: 24°08'28.3"N 121°17'08.5"E. This one is a fantastic location to catch sunrises. On the way to the peak you will pass an old cable car station. In May, the path is colorfully in red, white and pink decorated by the blooming azaleas flower. From the Ski lodge, it is about a one hour round trip.
- Each of these different trails have their own delights in terms of curiosities and viewpoints. Other sights to explore nearby include:
- Hehuan Wuling (24°08'14.6"N 121°16'31.7"E): between the Main Peak and the East Peak, this is the highest patch of road in the Taiwanese Highway System
- Shihmen Shan: This is the easiet peak to conquer on this mountain; so easy, in fact, that the peak is no more than 1200 meters away from the car park! The scenery on the way to the peak is utterly charming.
Hehuan Peak Entrance Travel Tips
- The address provided here is for the Visitor Center, which serves as a convenient base for all three peaks.
- If, in an attempt to translate the local signs, you keep running across the word ‘Acacia’, don’t worry. It’s what ‘Hehuan’ means.
- Parking at Hehuan Lodge Parking.
- You will require permits to hike the trail to North Peak.
- It is best to finish the East Peak before 2pm, which is when a thick mist rolls in.
- Always check for the trail conditions at the Taroko National Park Official Website.
How to Reach Hehuan Peak Entrance
- Buses 6506, 6658A, 6664 stop Song Xue Lou
- Drive to the Hehuanshan Visitor Center
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hualien before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hualien and book an accommodation of your choice.