Colegiata De Santa Maria46 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Alquezar, Huesca, Spain Map
- Timings: 11:00 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Also known as the Colegiate Church of the Santa Maria Maggiore is a collegiate castle that was built by Khalaf Ibn Rasid to stop Christian fortifications northwards. It was originally built in the 9th century and then replaced in the 13th century as a Christian center for worship. It was later reformed in Romanesque style in the 16th century and in the Gothic, Baroque and Renaissance styles even later.
It has a unique uneven quadrilateral shape with paired columns and arches. The interior is decorated with frescoes and paintings of incidents showing creation of Adam, temptation of Adam and Eve in Paradise, Cain and Abel, The Flood and History of Abraham, Scenes from the New Testament, etc. it also preserves one of the very few trapezoidal Romanesque cloisters of the country.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Huesca before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Huesca and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Colegiata De Santa Maria Address: Alquezar, Huesca, Spain
- Colegiata De Santa Maria Timing: 11:00 am - 07:30 pm
- Best time to visit Colegiata De Santa Maria(preferred time): 11:00 am - 01:30 pm
- Time required to visit Colegiata De Santa Maria: 04:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
12.07% of people who visit Huesca include Colegiata De Santa Maria in their plan
93.75% of people start their Colegiata De Santa Maria visit around 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Colegiata De Santa Maria
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Colegiata De Santa Maria
People normally club together Colegiata De Santa María La Mayor and Aínsa-sobrarbe while planning their visit to Colegiata De Santa Maria.