Indianapolis Museum Of Art340 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 4000 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46208, United States
- Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-3179231331
- Ticket Price: 18 USD
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Family And Kids
This museum is the 9th oldest and 8th largest encyclopedic museum in the US. This museum was established as the Art Association of Indianapolis in 1883.
The exhibits you can look for here are-
- The permanent collection of arts and sculptures including African, American, European and Asian pieces. The important ones comprise of the Neo- Impressionist paintings, Japanese paintings of the Edo period, Chinese works of ceramics and bronzes, notable works of Paul Gauguin and the Pont Avent School, a large collection of A.M.W. Turner and a lovely contemporary art collection. The other fields showcased include textiles, fashion arts and modern designs.
- 100 Acres: Virginia B. Fairbanks Art and Nature Park- This estate includes wetlands, woodlands, lakes and hiking trails. An exploration along these will also include a look into the open air contemporary art collection.
- Oldfields Lilly House and Gardens- It is a historic estate and a house museum. This was the house of the famous businessman, collector and philanthropist named J.K. Lilly, Jr.
- Miller House and Gardens- This is a mid- century modern house that belonged to an American industrialist, collector and architect named J. Irwin Miller and his wife.
- Westerley- This is a 4 storey mansion that once belonged to Dr. George H. A. Clowes and his wife Edith and their sons. The mansion consists of 20 rooms, a carriage house, a green house and beautiful lawns.
Indianapolis Museum Of Art Travel Tips
- The IMA Cafe and Museum Store are open duringregular museum hours.
- There are drink fountains, a café and a museum store here but outside food and drinks are not allowed.
- Big backpack, luggage and big umbrellas are not allowed.
- Photography without flashlight is allowed except where prohibited. Photography and videos for commercial purposes are not allowed.
- Do not touch any piece of art here.
- Audio tours are available here.
- Keep your phones in the silent mode and please do not receive calls when you are inside the museum.
- Museum is wheelchair accessible.
- Wifi is free here.
- They have a public phone facility here.
- First aid rooms, strollers, lockers and family restrooms are also available.
Entrance Ticket Details For Indianapolis Museum Of Art
- IMA Members- FREE.
- Ages 5 & under- FREE.
- Children ages 6-17- $10.
How to Reach Indianapolis Museum Of Art
- Bus number 34 till Michigan Street and 38th Street.
- IMA Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Indianapolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Indianapolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
25.53% of people who visit Indianapolis include Indianapolis Museum Of Art in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
73.17% of people start their Indianapolis Museum Of Art visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Indianapolis Museum Of Art
92.56% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Indianapolis Museum Of Art
People normally also visit Children's Museum Of Indianapolis while planning their trip to Indianapolis Museum Of Art.
Indianapolis Museum Of Art Reviews & Ratings
I caught a flat driving pass here and had to park in the parking lot. I never knew this place was here. Having nothing to do but wait for my tire to get fixed, I went inside. One of the best decision I've ever made. It was beautiful (and I only went on the first floor). It was clean and refreshing. The art work was amazing. I order some food and a drink, the food was great and plentiful. The guy who took my order made me feel welcomed! I will be back to see the rest of the place. My new favorite place! God works in mysterious ways.
Went to Fall Harvest - perfect day! Many things to do with lots of space to add things next year (and the next). Be sure to choose at least one of the chef demos - the education and samples are fabulous! Art projects are varied and good for many age levels. Food was, unfortunately, limited. Hope next season will bring more food and drink vendors.
My daughter attends University of Indianapolis and needed to go to the art museum for a class project. She is on crutches. We were greeted so warmly when we arrived. She was given free admission as a college student and we were immediately asked if we needed a wheelchair, which we did. They stored her crutches behind the admission desk. We loved the exhibits and I will definitely return. Thank you so much for a very positive experience.
We had not been since the museum had changed to Newfields. I was amazed at how much there was for my younger child to do. The staff was very helpful and easy to find. There were many interact stations placed throughout the museum to hold little ones interests. There was more than we could see in one visit and we plan on going back soon to visit again. If this review was helpful please hit the thumbs up! Thanks!
This was a nice museum. Something for everyone. We thought they were open until 8:00 but they closed at 5 because of the art festival so we did not.get.to see the first floor. But I would recommend going.