Eiteljorg Museum132 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 500 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46204, United States, 46204
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-3176369378
- Fax: +1-3172751410
- Ticket Price: 12 USD
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Family And Kids, Social, Arts, Museums
Also known as the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western art is a part of the White River State Park. The museum boasts of a fantastic collection of Native American art as well as Western American paintings and sculptures. All these were the collections of the famous businessman and philanthropist Harrison Eiteljorg. This museum also houses one of the best collections of Native contemporary art in the world.
The main exhibits you can that you can look for are-
- The Gund Gallery that houses a beautiful collection of paintings and bronzes by Frederick Remington and Charles Russell. Apart from that the other pieces here include works of George Winter, Thomas Hill, Albert Bierstadt, Charles King and Olaf Seltzer.
- A fine collection of works of New- Mexico associated painters such as Joseph Sharp, Victor Higgins, Ernest Blumenschein, John Sloan, etc.
- The 57 piece art collection donated to the museum by George Gund Family.
- The new gallery consisting of works by T.C. Cannon, Kay Walking Stick, Andy Warhol, etc.
- The Jingle Rails is an extraordinary section consisting of models of rails, bridges, tunnels, roads, national monuments, etc. all these are made with natural materials such as feathers, twigs, moss, nuts, etc and covered with Christmas lighting that symbolizes holiday and festive mood.
Eiteljorg Museum Travel Tips
- Photography and filming not allowed.
- The Sky City Cafe serves yummy South- Western dishes. The specialty is of course quick snacks and meals.
- Food and drinks from outside not allowed.
- Do not touch any art piece.
Entrance Ticket Details For Eiteljorg Museum
- Seniors: $10; Youth 5-17: $6; Child 4 & under: Free; Members- Free.
- Other discounts are available. Check official website for current discount rates.
Eiteljorg Museum Hours
- Saturday-Sunday: Guided gallery tours at 1:00 pm (Occurs most weekends. Call 317-636-9378 to confirm.)
- Museum Cafe: Monday to Friday- 11:00 am to 2:30 pm
- Saturday- 11:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Sunday- noon to 2:30 pm
How to Reach Eiteljorg Museum
- Bus numbers 4, 8 and 24 till West Street and Government Place.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Indianapolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Indianapolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
9.91% of people who visit Indianapolis include Eiteljorg Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
50% of people start their Eiteljorg Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Eiteljorg Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Eiteljorg Museum
Eiteljorg Museum Reviews & Ratings
It was an amazing experience! My people of this land are beautiful! Please attend, learn, learn about yourself, and enjoy life. I most definitely am. I feel more connected to my land, people and myself. Thank you!✌️
We took our boys here for a nice family day. The exhibits are quite extensive and very well kept. The staff was very friendly, there is a fun area for kids as well. Very informative and reasonably priced as well. We will definitely be back.
What a wonderful facility. My wife and I visited last week and certainly enjoyed our time there. Staff is impeccably trained and friendly. Exhibits were thought-provoking and impressive. Displays were separated by type of art (play space for paintings, a space for baskets, Etc.) I personally found this to be well done. If you enjoy the culture of Native Americans or Western Art, it is not to be missed. Plan on spending two to three hours. Do not pass by the gift shop thinking it is probably full of standard gift shop trinkets. The content is impressive. We loved our visit, and have been talking about it with one another off and on since being there. Truth be told, it wasn't just a visit. It was an experience.
We attended the 2019 Native American Festival and Market. It was an amazing visit. The staff did a great job bringing in a wide variety of artists from around the country. We enjoyed meeting them, taking in the art and buying some gifts to take back home. After seeing the artists we enjoyed the museum itself and had a really nice experience. Being from Oklahoma, we were excited to see our home state so well represented in several of the galleries. Eiteljorg is gem in the city and a great way to see something and learn something in an afternoon.
The presentations were fun and educational and there were lots of artists with beautiful things for sale. The signage clearly lays out the context, the political subtext, and the cultural messages of the various objects in addition to the usual details about the artist. We highly recommend a visit.
do you buy artifacts have very old Indian bowl great conditionAnswer Report Abuse
I am not sure if they do, but it would be better to call them on 317-636-9378 directly to confirm.Report Abuse