The largest city in the state of Madhya Pradesh, Indore is an example of the Maratha grandeur of the Holkar dynasty. With monuments paying tribute to the royal family, Indore displays a kind of old world charm that will definitely take you back into time. Be it the massive palaces or the divine temples, the architecture of these structures will simply astound you. Indore also is proof that the pride the city takes in its history, is not tarnished by modernisation. Being the commercial capital of Central India, Indore is grounds for many industries like automobile, textile and information technology, as well as, being a major educational hub housing two of the most prestigious educational institutes of India. But the two worlds are in complete harmony with each other, that just adds in to the charm of this city.
With the different cultural influences over Indore, it is no wonder that it reflects in their food and arts. The city is considered one of the best destinations in India, for enjoying some mouth-watering street food. Here, you will find such delicacies that are indigenous to only Indore, and nowhere else in the country. Even the music here blends in old classical style with the modern music culture. Indore is also a world record holder of hosting the longest cultural show in the world.
Indore is a complete package that brings in the old world with the new, with something for every kind of visitor.
Essential travel information and Indore tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC + 05:30
- Currency: Indian National Rupee
- Electricity and Internet: 220-240 Volts of electricity output. 3G and 4G mobile services are available in Indore. High speed Broadband services are available at most of the hotels.
- Languages: Hindi, Marathi, English, Rajasthani, Malwi, Punjabi and Sindhi.
- Police: 100
- Fire Control Room: 102
- Ambulance: 108
- Women Power Line: 1090
- Child Help Line Number: 1098
- CM Helpline: 181
- Tipping: Tipping is appreciated in Indore, but it isn't mandatory.
- Customs: Clothes that are suitable for the climate are fine, but avoid revealing outfits while roaming around or visiting holy places.