Visit Interlaken - Best of Interlaken
Interlaken seems to have been settled only in the Middle Ages – and that’s a great stroke of luck! The city, cradled by two lakes, and watched over by Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, is a paradise unlike any other you’ll ever see. It’s one of Switzerland’s oldest tourist resorts, and it well should be – practically all and every sort of adventure sports you could possibly crave is served up here on a delicious platter.
The city itself isn’t rich in attractions, but it’s an excellent base for everything the Bernese Oberland has to offer you. All the major tour groups and organisers, whether for hiking, trekking, canoeing, sailing, rafting, canyoning, hang-gliding, base-jumping, para-sailing, cycling, trekking, skiing… they’re all based here. Most of the best hamlets, funiculars and other attractions are never more than two hours away.
That said, the town itself is cute. The main street is souvenir shopping heaven. The walks by the lakes are incredible. The nightlife is surprisingly adequate. All in all, the city is practically a stairway to heaven.
Interlaken Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Interlaken tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +2 hours
- Currency: Swiss Francs.
- Electricity: Electricity in Switzerland is 230 V, 50 Hz AC
- Internet: 3G and 4G connections are available in almost all the hotels and major public places in the city.
- Languages: Predominantly Swiss German and English
- Security: Police-117, Fire Department-118, Ambulances- 144.
- Tipping: It is not compulsory to tip in Switzerland but if you’re more than happy with the service, then tip an amount which is 5-10 percent of the bill.
- Other tips: Beware of pickpockets. Make sure you properly carry your wallets and purses when you visit a crowded tourist spot.
- Opt for cashless payment.
- Dress according to the time you’re visiting in.
Travel to Interlaken- Know before you go to Interlaken
Facts and Stats for Interlaken*
Living in Interlaken - Quality of Life
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Attractions in Interlaken
Interlaken Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Interlaken
Interlaken Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Interlaken
61 Reviews Duration: 7 hours (approx.)
Immerse yourself in a breathtaking Alpine wonderland on this guided day trip from Interlaken to the Top of Europe. Travel by ...
USD 221.02Book Now
31 Reviews Duration: 90 minutes
Fly high on rising thermals and enjoy birds-eye views over the Swiss Alps on this 1.5-hour paragliding experience from Interl...
USD 174.76Book Now
2 Reviews Duration: 3 hours
The Helicopter Skydive takes you in panoramic heli ride up to about 14'000ft. You will see the famous Swiss Alps Eiger Mnch a...
New on TripHobo Duration: 2 hours
The Original Eiger Jump Grindelwald is the ultimate skydive adventure in front of the famous Swiss Alps. The Skydive in front...