Interlaken seems to have been settled only in the Middle Ages – and that’s a great stroke of luck! The city, cradled by two lakes, and watched over by Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, is a paradise unlike any other you’ll ever see. It’s one of Switzerland’s oldest tourist resorts, and it well should be – practically all and every sort of adventure sports you could possibly crave is served up here on a delicious platter.
The city itself isn’t rich in attractions, but it’s an excellent base for everything the Bernese Oberland has to offer you. All the major tour groups and organisers, whether for hiking, trekking, canoeing, sailing, rafting, canyoning, hang-gliding, base-jumping, para-sailing, cycling, trekking, skiing… they’re all based here. Most of the best hamlets, funiculars and other attractions are never more than two hours away.
That said, the town itself is cute. The main street is souvenir shopping heaven. The walks by the lakes are incredible. The nightlife is surprisingly adequate. All in all, the city is practically a stairway to heaven.
Essential travel information and Interlaken tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +2 hours
- Currency: Swiss Francs.
- Electricity: Electricity in Switzerland is 230 V, 50 Hz AC
- Internet: 3G and 4G connections are available in almost all the hotels and major public places in the city.
- Languages: Predominantly Swiss German and English
- Security: Police-117, Fire Department-118, Ambulances- 144.
- Tipping: It is not compulsory to tip in Switzerland but if you’re more than happy with the service, then tip an amount which is 5-10 percent of the bill.
- Other tips: Beware of pickpockets. Make sure you properly carry your wallets and purses when you visit a crowded tourist spot.
- Opt for cashless payment.
- Dress according to the time you’re visiting in.
Interlaken Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Interlaken. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Interlaken trip planner.