Kilt RockCurrently Open
- Address: Isle of Skye, Scotland, United Kingdom Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Geological Formation, View Point, Hiking Trail, Family And Kids, Nature
Kilt Rock is a renowned sea cliff in north east Trotternish. The cliff has been named so as it resembles a kilt, with vertical basalt columns to form the pleats and intruded sills of dolerite forming the pattern. In order to see the waterfall, you will have to look north up the coast. Kilt Rock is a popular viewpoint; looking to the west, the visitor can also enjoy views across the Sound of the Isle of Rona and of Wester Ross. The Waterfall plunges about 100m over a sheer basalt cliff straight into the sea on the Trotternish Peninsula of Skye. On clear days it is also possible to see the Isle of Lewis and parts of the mainland of Scotland.
Kilt Rock Travel Tips
- Lives have been lost here. Today, the cliff edge is pretty well fenced, but do take particular care and keep to the designated viewpoint.
How to Reach Kilt Rock
- Buses from Somerled Square, Portree.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Isle Of Skye before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Isle Of Skye and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Kilt Rock Address: Isle of Skye, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Kilt Rock Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Kilt Rock(preferred time): 07:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Kilt Rock: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
41.74% of people who visit Isle Of Skye include Kilt Rock in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
46.43% of people start their Kilt Rock visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Kilt Rock
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kilt Rock
People normally club together Staffin Beach and The Storr while planning their visit to Kilt Rock.