Basilica Cistern7219 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Alemdar Mh., Yerebatan Cd. 1/3, 34410 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey, Istanbul Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +90-2125221259
- Ticket Price: 10 TRY
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Historical Site, Architecture
The Sunken Cistern is an ancient water reservoir built during the 5th century on the site of what used to be a famous basilica. It’s said over 7000 slaves were used in the construction of this cistern. Its capacity is if of roughtly 100000 tonnes of water. It has been featured in the James Bond movie “From Russia With Love”. Of special interest are its two base columns featuring the head of Medusa, the origins and purpose of which are unknown. The softly lit attraction creates a gentle ambience. It’s a fantastic treaure in summer beacuse of its cool subterranean breeze.
The Basilica Cistern is a 5th century water reservoir that holds a gargantuan volume of water and was built on the very site a basilica used to be. There is a small ticket for Basilica Cistern, but many people turn up so it might take time to get the ticket. The Basilica Cistern ticket prices are reasonable but if you buy tickets for Basilica Cistern in advance from our ticketing section you can simply skip on lines and fast forward to the attraction immediately. Basilica Cistern tickets can also be clubbed with many other attractions in Istanbul. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Istanbul itinerary 2 days.
Basilica Cistern Travel Tips
- Carry jacket it is cool down there.
- Watch your steps, the place can get little slippery.
- Choose one of the classical concerts in the lane nearby to go.
Entrance Ticket Details For Basilica Cistern
- Students: $ 5.00
- Adult : $ 10.00
- Foreign visitors: £ 20.00
Basilica Cistern Hours
- The museum is open to visitors seven days a week. On the first day of the religious festival opens at 1pm.
How to Reach Basilica Cistern
- Eminonu Bus Stop
- And Hotel
- Hagia Sophia Hotel Istanbul Old City is the luxury hotel with tradition of Istanbul.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Istanbul before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Istanbul and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Basilica Cistern Address: Alemdar Mh., Yerebatan Cd. 1/3, 34410 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey, Istanbul
- Basilica Cistern Contact Number: +90-2125221259
- Basilica Cistern Timing: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm
- Basilica Cistern Price: 10 TRY
- Best time to visit Basilica Cistern(preferred time): 03:00 pm - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Basilica Cistern: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
53.33% of people who visit Istanbul include Basilica Cistern in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.55% of people start their Basilica Cistern visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Basilica Cistern
82.27% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilica Cistern
People normally club together Grand Bazaar and Chora Church while planning their visit to Basilica Cistern.