Chora Church, Istanbul
About Chora Church, Istanbul
Chora Church, Istanbul - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Ayvansaray Mh., Kariye Cami Sk. No:26, Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
Ticket Price: 15 TRY
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 14.3K times in trip plans
Church, Museum, History Museum, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This well reserved Byzantine Church is perhaps the most beautiful of it’s kind still existing. It was built originally in the 5th century and then underwent extensive renovations in the 11th century. Its fine mozaics and frescoes were decorated in the 13th century. The mozaics tell apocryphal stories of Christian history, so research beforehand if you want to make a sense of this attraction. The Chora has been operating as a museum ever since 1958.
Chora Church Information
- The audio tour is highly recommended.
- There is a nice cafe nearby.
- Taking a taxi would be time saving but expensive or you can take a bus till Edirnekapi.
- No toilet facilities.
- No flash camera or tripod allowed.
- Visitors have to buy their tickets 1 hour before the museum closing time.
Chora Church Ticket Prices
- With Museum Pass Istanbul, you can visit Chora Museum free of charge and without having to queue.
Chora Church Opening and Closing Hours
- Summer Season (April-October): Last admission at 6.00 pm
- Winter Season (November-March): Last admission at 4:30 pm
How To reach Chora Church by Public Transport
Restaurants Near Chora Church
- The Kariye Muhallebicisi Pudding Shop, serves a range of refreshments.
- Asitane Restaurant premium restaurant shares Turkish-Ottaman cuisine.
- Kariye Hotel Restaurants and Bar offers great food with deluxe rooms and car parking facility.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Istanbul before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Istanbul and book an accommodation of your choice.
Chora Church, Istanbul Reviews - Write a Review
Far from the old city. You need to take a bus and walk a bit to get to the museum. But majority of it is under restoration. There were only 3 rooms which you can see. Despite that the fee is still 30 TRY without any discount. It takes no less than 15 minutes for quite an effort. On the other hand, the museum doesn’t have any information desk/panel. You probably need a tour guide. Waste of time, effort and money
I loved that place! Totally amazing. Restorations are still ongoing but every part of it smells history. You can see the details in everywhere. It tells the Jesus Christ's story generally but so much labor on it. Recommend!! I will come again after restorations over
The main part of the church is closed at the moment (November 2017) but the inner and outer narthex are open and really worth a visit. Buy the booklet in the gift shop for 7 lira. Just as good as a guide.
Exceptional tour especially for pilgrims and people interested in early Christianity history. The frescos and the painting are well preserved. Be advised durimg the winter the museum will be closed early at 17:00.
As of the date of commenting, the museum is still under restoration, but dont let that stop you. This place is still amazing to see. If you are in Istanbul you must visit.
- Nearby Attractions
- Studio-x Istanbul
- Beşiktaş Vapur İskelesi
- Küçük Ayasofya Mahallesi
- Paşabağı Mahallesi
- Ihlamur Kasrı Müzesi
- Aksaray Mahallesi
- Kocatepe Mh.
- Haci Bekir
- Agatha Restaurant
- Hyatt Regency Istanbul Ataköy
- Istanbul Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Istanbul
- What to See in 48 Hours in Istanbul
- What to See in 72 Hours in Istanbul
- How to Spend 5 Days in Istanbul
- How to Spend 6 Days in Istanbul
- How to Spend 7 Days in Istanbul