Galata MevlevihanesiCurrently Closed
- Address: Sahkulu Mah., Galipdede Caddesi 15, 34420 Istanbul, Turkiye, 34420, Turkey
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +90-2122454141
- Ticket Price: 10 TRY
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Family And Kids
Galata Mevlevihanesi - Review
There is definitely one thing of Galata Mevlevi Museum that attracts the visitors the most- its whirling Dervish hall. Erected in 1491 and renovated in 1608, this place was built by an Ottoman grandee from the palace of Sultan Beyazit II. This museum is dedicated to the ordinary Turkish people who chose to follow a life of Sufism and followed the poet Rumi. It displays their clothes, books, art, and musical instruments. If you wish to see and experience what Dervishes did, book for the whirling dervish shows.
Galata Mevlevihanesi Information
- Flash photography is prohibited.
- Museum is a non-smoking zone.
- The place is disabled-friendly.
Galata Mevlevihanesi Ticket Prices
Free entry for the following:
- 18 years old and younger teens and children of citizens of the Republic of Turkey.
- 65 years and older citizens of the Republic of Turkey.
- Veterans, spouses and children of martyrs and veterans.
- Citizens of the Republic of Turkey with an entourage of people with disabilities.
- For other categories, check the website.
Galata Mevlevihanesi Hours
- Whirling Dervishes on every Sunday at 5:00pm.
- Special Days: The First Day of Eid is closed/Half-day visit.
- Summers (April to Oct): Box office closing time at 6pm.
- Winters (November to March): Box office closing time at 4pm.
How To reach Galata Mevlevihanesi by Public Transport
- By Metro: Sishane
- By Tram: Karakoy, then funicular to Tunel.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Istanbul before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Istanbul and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Galata Mevlevihanesi
1% of people who visit Istanbul include Galata Mevlevihanesi in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
60% of people start their Galata Mevlevihanesi visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Galata Mevlevihanesi
90% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Galata Mevlevihanesi
Galata Mevlevihanesi Trips
Galata Mevlevihanesi, Istanbul Reviews
It is a poetic museum for those who know literature and can read Persian. The atmosphere takes you to the time that the scripts belong to. The stones and their poetic verses are in Arabic and Persian. You can visit it for free if you have the touris museum card of the government depended museums.
I had an incredible experience viewing the twirling dervish here. It was a little boring at moments but overall it was quite amazing. They only have space for 150 people so get your tickets early on Sunday.
After having visited several Mevlevi lodges in other cities, it was nice to see the one in Galata with its beautiful semahane. I especially liked the quiet peaceful atmosphere in the garden, a good place to rest the mind after a busy day on Istiklal.
The place and the dervishes get five stars, but the other tourists rudely filming and taking bad photos with their iPhones were distracting and they let in latecomers during the ritual. I think people should have more respect and appreciate the performers.
If it is your first time you see something similar then you should attend. You have to book tickets and then come back at 1700 to attend the event. Make sure you come early in order to sit in the front row. You can take photos however you should not make any noise inside.