Rani Durgavati Museum, Jabalpur
Rani Durgavati Museum, Jabalpur - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
Ticket Price: 10 INR
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 1.8K times in trip plans
Museum, History Museum, Observatory, Educational Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Rani Durgavati Museum, Jabalpur
Located in the centre of the city of Jabalpur, Rani Durgavati Museum is one of the major tourist attractions in the city. It was established in 1964 in memory of the valiant Gond queen Rani Durgavati, who sacrificed her life fighting for her mother land. It is a two storied structure that stands majestically in the middle of the city.
As you enter the premises of the museum, you will find a number of rare statues kept in the open, each with all the necessary information. These statues are very beautifully sculptured and make excellent photographs. One of the masterpieces is the sculpture of wild boar at the entrance of the building. On the ground floor there are many ancient statues of Hindu and Jain Gods ranging from 3rd century to 18th century. They are kept in showcases and each contains information about it. A collection of rare coins ranging from 2nd BC to 1600 BC keeps you glued to the place.
The first floor contains letters written by Mahatma Gandhi and also original photographs of him and other freedom fighters. You also get firsthand information about the tribal life of Madhya Pradesh here. The dresses, equipments used by them, their houses, utensils, weapons and other items are displayed here. Some of the highlights in the museum are:
- A red stone sculpture from Tripuri, belonging to the 10th century. It depicts the game played between Lord Siva and his consort Goddess Parvati.
- A sand stone idol of Durga, which stands to a height of 36 cm. It is an excellent specimen of the Kalchuri art.
- A 10th century sandstone sculpture of Saraswati.
The visit is worth your time and you learn a lot about the traditions and culture of the people of Madhya Pradesh.
Rani Durgavati Museum Information
- Located infront of Hotel Krishna and easily accessible by bus, cab and auto rickshaws.
- Do not touch any items inside the museum as there are close circuit cameras fitted to watch what the visitors are doing.
- During the vacation times the museum is very much crowded, so try to visit the place on other times.
- There is a book stall in the museum that sells books on tourism in Madhya Pradesh and the art and culture of the state.
- After you visit the museum, write your vies and suggestions on the visitors book.
Rani Durgavati Museum Ticket Prices
- Entrance free for handicapped people and children below 15 years.
- Photography-Rs. 50; Video photography-Rs. 200.
Restaurants Near Rani Durgavati Museum
- Food Plaza
- 19th Century
- Asanzose Fast Food Eatery
- Back in Time
- The Dome
- The Verandah
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Jabalpur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jabalpur and book an accommodation of your choice.
Rani Durgavati Museum, Jabalpur Reviews - Write a Review
A good place to visit if you are interested in museums and history. The entry fee is only ₹10 and ₹50 for photography. Can be a good spot for outing.
Best for history lovers.....wonderful museum and very beautiful garden,very clean.... Good place for visit....😎😎
Place is nice.... Gate pass for indian 10Rs simple observation, 50Rs -photography allowed 200Rs videography allowed For foreigners....500Rs
Good Museum..Having 64 Yogini, Gondwana dynasty, Shiva rupa's etc sculptures. Good coin collection as well. Good to visit.
If you are going visit nearby historical places.. please visit this museum first...
- Nearby Attractions
- Jabalpur Airport