National Elk Refuge , Jackson Hole
About National Elk Refuge , Jackson Hole
National Elk Refuge , Jackson Hole - Address, Phone Number
Address: 675 E Broadway Ave, Jackson, WY 83001, USA
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 5.4K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Incepted in 1912 with an aim to provide a natural reserve to the significant Elk herd of Jackson Hole along with many other endangered species around, the refuge today has become one of the rare places in the world to witness these beautiful animals in their own habitat. Apart from elk, there are various birds, fishes, bisons, deer and other animals being preserved and managed in this refuge daily. For travellers planning to visit, must go there in winters as that is the only time when the sanctuary comes alive with wildlife specially elks flocking the place. The elk refuge has been spread over an area of 24,700 acres and provides a fresh breath of air for tourists who wish to delve into nature’s beauty for a while and enjoy its quiet and placid magic.
National Elk Refuge Information
- Tickets for sleigh rides can be collected from Jackson Hole and Yellowstone Visitor Center.
- Dawn and Dusk are best time for spotting an Elk.
National Elk Refuge Ticket Prices
- Prices for activities such as sleigh rides may differ. Contact the respective authorities for more info.
National Elk Refuge Opening and Closing Hours
- Monday to Friday : 8 AM to 4:30 PM
- Closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Jackson Hole and Greater Yellowstone Visitor Center:
- From October 1- 9 AM to 5 PM daily.
How To reach National Elk Refuge by Public Transport
- By Taxi
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Jackson Hole before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jackson Hole and book an accommodation of your choice.
National Elk Refuge , Jackson Hole Reviews - Write a Review
A beautiful place to camp! Amazing views of the Tetons. Magical! I'll definitely be back. Would have stayed longer, but there are employees of Jackson that need the area to camp while they are working in town. At least that's what the ranger told me. Sad they don't have enough affordable housing for seasonal workers, but I guess that's seems to be the direction most similar towns are going. Hope it changes. The visitor center was lovely.
Winter is the best time to see one of the largest elk herds in the world. Elk migrate from as far away as Yellowstone national park to spend the winter on the national elk refuge.
Got to watch the big horn sheep rut here. So fun!
Beautiful drive through the park. Didn't get to see any Elk. Perhaps wrong time of the year or just unlucky on that day. In any case, we enjoyed the drive. There is an off-road driving trails for camping in the forest.
Not much to add. If you want to see Elk go in winter. In summer they are up in the hills.
- Nearby Attractions
- Teton View Bed And Breakfast
- Teton Whitewater
- Jackson Hole Lodge
- Bar J Chuckwagon Supper & Western Music Show
- Snake River Brewing
- Jackson Hole / Snake River Koa
- Dave Hansen Whitewater And Scenic River Trips
- Mad River Boat Trips
- Jenny Lake Boating
- Jackson Hole Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Jackson Hole
- What to See in 48 Hours in Jackson Hole
- What to See in 72 Hours in Jackson Hole
- How to Spend 5 Days in Jackson Hole
- How to Spend 6 Days in Jackson Hole
- How to Spend 7 Days in Jackson Hole