A waterfall is like a clear sky leading to a downpour. From a distance it is a silent white stream cascading over the rocky outcrops but closer you get drawn into the plume of vapour that hangs over the pool. The giant spray reaches up towards the sky in order to touch it. Catarata Bijagual is a wonder. It will leave you awe struck. The horizon is a never ending line that follow the water in unison.
The process of erosion, that is the wear and tear, plays an important role in the formation of a waterfall. Waterfalls themselves are responsible for erosions. Waterfalls are unique gifts to Earth. A force of Nature both beautiful and brutal. The deep rumble and boom of the Bijagual waterfall echoes and vibrates in the valley below. From the bottom it is awe inspiring but from the top it is harsh and terrifying.
The crashing flow of the water gets stronger behind the stone walls of the mountain, and you have to descend mossy stone steps to reach the rainforest. The Bijugual waterfall is 600 foot waterfall, one of the tallest in Costa Rica. Tours include a two hour horseback ride, and hiking to the waterfall, natural pools, and lunch at a mountain town. There is an option if you don't want lunch, they serve you fresh tropical fruits and juice. But the food served is traditional Costa Rican style, and very enjoyable. Along the way you will pass a secondary, thinner rainforest. After riding a horse for a mile, you will reach the entrance of the waterfall, and from here you have to continue on foot to the waterfall. You walk for another half mile to reach the waterfall which is at a steep decline. There are three natural water pools fed by the Tarcolitos River, about six feet deep. Here you plunge in the water to relax and cool off.
The mountain town of Bijagual is a small town untouched by tourists. It is rugged and rustic and locals use dirt bike or ATV or SUV to ride around. You will be served Costa Rican food. A casado is a Costa Rican meal using rice, black beans, plantains, salad, a tortilla, and an entree which includes chicken, beef, pork or fish. This is accompanied by fresh squeezed fruit juice.
Catarata Bijagual Travel Tips
- Wear sturdy shoes with good traction because the trekking trail is slick in places. Carry water shoes for entering the waterfall, the water tends to be cold because trees block out the sunlight.
- Wear long pants and carry water and bathing suits.
- It is not meant for children and the elderly because the trek is tough and strenuous.
- You have to take a guide with you for your safety. There have been sightings of crocodiles and when it rains, rocks fall from the top into the pool below.
- The town where you stop to eat has little cabins at reasonable rates. You can stay there and go on nature walks or even fish in the river.
Entrance Ticket Details For Catarata Bijagual
- $ 40 with fruit
Catarata Bijagual Hours
- The available timings are 8.30 am & 1.30 pm.
- Graffiti Restro Cafe and Wine Bar- Cajun and Creole, Eclectic, Californian, Wine Bar.
- Tarruzu Beach- Coffee
- Moose’s- Hawaiian
- Los Amigos- Costa Rican
- Clarita’s Beach Bar and Sports grill- Costa Rican
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jaco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jaco and book an accommodation of your choice.
50.77% of people who visit Jaco include Catarata Bijagual in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
48.65% of people start their Catarata Bijagual visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Catarata Bijagual
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Catarata Bijagual