Monas3433 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Medan Merdeka, Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
- Timings: 08:00 am - 03:00 pm Details
- Phone: +62-213822255
- Ticket Price: 50000 IDR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Monument, Statue
Indonesia National Monument or what Indonesian and Jakarta people usually call as Monas is a monument built to remember the struggle of Indonesian heroes fighting the colonial domination. Monas was built based on the idea of the first president of Indonesia, Ir. Soekarno, with the help of Sudarsono and F. Silaban as the architect, and Ir. Rooseno as the consultant. It’s builts on an area with a width of 80 hectares. Monas was officially open on 17th August 1961 by President Soekarno, and publicly open on 12th July 1971.
The top of Monas shaped like a flame, symbolizing a never extinguished spirit of Indonesian people. The flame was made of bronze medal which weight was 14.5 ton, and was plated with 35 kg gold. The flame has 6 meters diameter and consist of 77 concentrated parts.
The standing pillar of Monas which height is 137 meters, symbolizing a rice pestle, while the cup symbolizing a rice barn. Rice pestle and barn are traditional tools to pound rice, figuring out Indonesia as an agricultural country. They’re also regarded as the symbol of Indonesian people’s fertility, and as the symbol of male and female. You can also enjoy the view from the top by reaching up to the top by an elevator.
Places to visit in Monas:
- Independence room
- National museum
- Park area
- Fountain attraction
Monas Travel Tips
- Be there early to avoid the crowds.
- Most of the time the weather is quite hot in day time in Jakarta, hence it’s better to visit Monas in the morning, afternoon or evening time. However if you choose to visit in the day time, do not forget to bring umbrella or hat to cover your head from the sun.
- If you visit Monas in the morning you could avoid the long queue to the monument, especially on weekend and holiday. It might be more comfortable to visit on week days.
Entrance Ticket Details For Monas
- Ticket for observation desk costs IDR 10000.
- Closed on last Mondays of each month.
- Fountain show is between 07.00 pm to 08.00 pm.
How to Reach Monas
- Es Krim Ragusa
- Kantin Wisma Antara
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jakarta before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jakarta and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Jakarta include Monas in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
76.18% of people start their Monas visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Monas
68.27% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monas
Monas Reviews & Ratings
Icon of Jakarta. But, Its too hot if you coming here at 12 o'clock. You need to use sun block and bring your hat.
Good place for enjoying afternoon run, but there is no jogging track like KLCC park
Wonderful... now under new administration Mr. ANIES BASWEDAN, Jakarta Governor, we can enter this area with huge numbers of people (more than 7million people) gathers for Islamic event to commemorate Prophet Muhammad PBUH birth (Maulid)
The National Monument or the famous Monas or Monas Monument is a 132 meter high monument established to commemorate the resistance and struggle of the Indonesian people to win independence from the Dutch East Indies colonial government.