Called the city of temples, Jammu is the winter capital of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. A beautiful, green, hilly city with warm big hearted people and lot of well known tourist attractions, an itinerary to Jammu is usually popular among families.
A municipal corporation that oversees the administrative matters of the Jammu directin, this city is also the gateway to the exotic valley of Kashmir.
It has been the winter capital of the region since the times of the Jammu and Kashmir princely state.
The existence of this city dates back to the Harappan civilization. Traces from Maurya, Kushan, Kushanshahs and Gupta periods have been found at excavation sites near the city.
A legend states that Raja JambuLochan, brother of Bahulochan saw a tiger and a deer drinking water from river tawi harmoniously and took that as a sign that it was the right place for a peaceful co-existence. He built the Bahu fort there and the settlement around the fort grew over ages to become the city of Jammu.
Of all the rulers in Jammu, the Dogra rulers are fondly remembered in the area. They rejuvenated the city, renovated and built the forts, temples and mosques. Their influence on the architecture and cuisine can be still seen in the region.
The city has a number of visits worthy temples and mosques. Intricately carved designs on the walls and peaceful surroundings make these places very memorable. Some of these places are Chrar-e-Shareif, Martand sun temple, Raghunath temple, SudhMahadev temple, PeerbabaDargah and Peer kho cave temple.
Jammu itineraries must include Mubarak Mandi Palace, Bahu fort, Baag-e-Bahu Park, Amar Mahal Museum, Mansar Lake and the Fish Aquarium at Baag-e-Bahu.
Many tourists travel to Jammu to visit the Vaishno Devi temple which is very close to Jammu at Katra. Thousands of Hindu pilgrims pass through Jammu every year to visit this temple and get the blessings of the Mata. It is one of the biggest pilgrimages in all over the world.
Jammu has a lot of things to offer to make a choosy traveller happy. Apart the warm welcomes from the chirpy locals, the creativity of these folks is reflected in all the handicraft materials and fabric created in the local markets. Raghunath Bazaar and VirMarg are popular shopping destinations.
Last but not the least, a Jammu vacation planner must introduce you to the culinary heights of the region! This city is one of the best places in the state to understand food laced with hidden Dogri delights. Don’t forget to try the authentic food, especially the meaty delights!
Don’t forget to buy a Pashmina shawl as a souvenir and yes, ‘ Jai Mata Di’!!
Essential travel information and Jammu tips for your visit
- Always carry a bag of water with you. It is important to remain hydrated.
- Consider the time of the year of your visit. Pack accordingly.
- In winters, you will have to pack a lot of winter wear because of the extreme cold. Summers are hot and therefore loose, cotton clothes with do.
- Carry sunglasses, scarves and sunscreen lotion during summer visits. In winters, keep a moisturizer with you.
- Carry a security belt to hold your important documents and money.
- Communicate with the locals; it helps you gain a deeper perspective.
- Also try the local cuisine and street food of the city.
- Bring a phrase book and city guide with you. It will make the trip more fruitful and you will be well informed about a site before visiting it.
- Dress according to the area that you are visiting.
- Bargain when you buy anything. Vendors charge much more than what the commodity is worth.
- Be careful from thieves and take safety measures to protect your wallet.
- Travelling with a few companions is recommended.
- Do not travel at night on your own. Do that only if you have a trustworthy person who knows the city with you.
- Do not fall for scams of local agents and touts. In need, contact a police officer or approach the traffic policeman.
- Do not wear a lot of jewellery while travelling and avoid carrying cash. Carry a debit card instead.
- Do not consult the ‘tourist information centres’ near the Railway stations. They are not official centres but tourist agents trying to bluff tourists.
- The city has extreme weather conditions so if you are travelling during harsh conditions, carry appropriate medicines.
- Don’t forget to buy woollen souvenirs from Jammu!
Jammu Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Jammu. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Jammu trip planner.