Jammu Tourism, India
Visit Jammu - Best of Jammu
Called the city of temples, Jammu is the winter capital of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. A beautiful, green, hilly city with warm big hearted people and lot of well known tourist attractions, an itinerary to Jammu is usually popular among families.
A municipal corporation that oversees the administrative matters of the Jammu directin, this city is also the gateway to the exotic valley of Kashmir.
It has been the winter capital of the region since the times of the Jammu and Kashmir princely state.
The existence of this city dates back to the Harappan civilization. Traces from Maurya, Kushan, Kushanshahs and Gupta periods have been found at excavation sites near the city.
A legend states that Raja JambuLochan, brother of Bahulochan saw a tiger and a deer drinking water from river tawi harmoniously and took that as a sign that it was the right place for a peaceful co-existence. He built the Bahu fort there and the settlement around the fort grew over ages to become the city of Jammu.
Of all the rulers in Jammu, the Dogra rulers are fondly remembered in the area. They rejuvenated the city, renovated and built the forts, temples and mosques. Their influence on the architecture and cuisine can be still seen in the region.
The city has a number of visits worthy temples and mosques. Intricately carved designs on the walls and peaceful surroundings make these places very memorable. Some of these places are Chrar-e-Shareif, Martand sun temple, Raghunath temple, SudhMahadev temple, PeerbabaDargah and Peer kho cave temple.
Jammu itineraries must include Mubarak Mandi Palace, Bahu fort, Baag-e-Bahu Park, Amar Mahal Museum, Mansar Lake and the Fish Aquarium at Baag-e-Bahu.
Many tourists travel to Jammu to visit the Vaishno Devi temple which is very close to Jammu at Katra. Thousands of Hindu pilgrims pass through Jammu every year to visit this temple and get the blessings of the Mata. It is one of the biggest pilgrimages in all over the world.
Jammu has a lot of things to offer to make a choosy traveller happy. Apart the warm welcomes from the chirpy locals, the creativity of these folks is reflected in all the handicraft materials and fabric created in the local markets. Raghunath Bazaar and VirMarg are popular shopping destinations.
Last but not the least, a Jammu vacation planner must introduce you to the culinary heights of the region! This city is one of the best places in the state to understand food laced with hidden Dogri delights. Don’t forget to try the authentic food, especially the meaty delights!
Don’t forget to buy a Pashmina shawl as a souvenir and yes, ‘ Jai Mata Di’!!
Jammu Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Jammu tips for your visit
- Always carry a bag of water with you. It is important to remain hydrated.
- Consider the time of the year of your visit. Pack accordingly.
- In winters, you will have to pack a lot of winter wear because of the extreme cold. Summers are hot and therefore loose, cotton clothes with do.
- Carry sunglasses, scarves and sunscreen lotion during summer visits. In winters, keep a moisturizer with you.
- Carry a security belt to hold your important documents and money.
- Communicate with the locals; it helps you gain a deeper perspective.
- Also try the local cuisine and street food of the city.
- Bring a phrase book and city guide with you. It will make the trip more fruitful and you will be well informed about a site before visiting it.
- Dress according to the area that you are visiting.
- Bargain when you buy anything. Vendors charge much more than what the commodity is worth.
- Be careful from thieves and take safety measures to protect your wallet.
- Travelling with a few companions is recommended.
- Do not travel at night on your own. Do that only if you have a trustworthy person who knows the city with you.
- Do not fall for scams of local agents and touts. In need, contact a police officer or approach the traffic policeman.
- Do not wear a lot of jewellery while travelling and avoid carrying cash. Carry a debit card instead.
- Do not consult the ‘tourist information centres’ near the Railway stations. They are not official centres but tourist agents trying to bluff tourists.
- The city has extreme weather conditions so if you are travelling during harsh conditions, carry appropriate medicines.
- Don’t forget to buy woollen souvenirs from Jammu!
Are you looking for a Jammu travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Travel to Jammu- Know before you go to Jammu
Facts and Stats for Jammu*
Pollution Statistics in Jammu
Know the pollution level of Jammu before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 60.71 (High)
Water Pollution 61.76 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 56.25 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 56.25 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 43.75 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 71.88 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 60.53 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 55 (Moderate)
Jammu: Crime and Safety
How safe is Jammu for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Jammu.
Burglary and Theft 21.88 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 15.63 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 21.88 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 71.43 (High)
Car Stealing 15.63 (Very Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 6.25 (Very Low)
Attacks 25 (Low)
Drug offense 31.25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 84.38 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 59.38 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 21.88 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 21.88 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 28.13 (Low)
Living in Jammu - Quality of Life
Safety Index 72.29 (High)
Pollution Index 68.72 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 25 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 22.41 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 66.67 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 6.64 (Low)
Purchasing Power Index 69.37 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Jammu
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Jammu
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 2.93 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 70.93 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 49.6 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 37.32 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Jammu Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Jammu
- Katra Tourism
- Dalhousie Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Dharamshala Tourism
- Srinagar Tourism
- Manali Tourism
- Kullu Tourism
- Shimla Tourism
- Chandigarh Tourism
- Kasauli Tourism
- Kufri Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism
- Mount Abu Tourism
- Bandhavgarh National Park Tourism