Martand Sun Temple2135 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Martand Sun temple, Anantnag, Jammu and Kashmir, India Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Temple, View Point, Historical Site, Archaeological Site
The interesting remains of the 8th century Martand sun temple showcase what is left of the finest works of King Lalithyaditya. Even after its glory has faded, the sun temple remains a widely visited site for its magnificent architectural work.
The sun temple was constructed by King Lalitaditya Muktapida of the Karkota dynasty in 8th century AD. It is dedicated to the Surya, the sun god of Hindus also known as Martand. The temple had a colonnaded courtyard, a shrine at its centre and 84 smaller shrines surrounding it.
The temple basked in its glory until Sikandar Butshikan destroyed it in early 15th century. Local folklores describe how difficult it was even for a ruthless attacker like him to destruct the temple. It took almost a year for him to tear it down.
The architecture of the temple is unique because it blends a dozen styles of architecture together. Gandharan, Gupta, Chinese and greek forms of architecture are a part of this temple.
Even today, one marvels at the intricate art by the builders that has left its traces in the ruins. The temple is considered one of the most important archaeological sites in India and is one of the protected monuments in the region.
Built on the top of a high plateau overlooking snow clad mountains and the beautiful Kashmir valley, this temple is just a beginning page in the intriguing mystery that Jammu and Kashmir is.
The fields of the mustard in the village nearby look like melted gold that shines bright. The aura of the temple which fills you with an unforgettable bliss is definitely worth experiencing. Plus, the archaeological buff in you will be delighted to visit this site!
Martand Sun Temple Travel Tips
- The temple looks breathtaking in winter although the temperature is very low, in subzero degrees
- Do not litter in the temple premises.
- Maintain the sanctity of the temple.
- Do not consume intoxicating substances in the area.
- Carry a camera with you, the temple makes a beautiful background for photos.
- If you can, read a bit about architectural styles beforehand.
- Carry some food items and water.
- It gets very cold in winter so carry appropriate clothing.
Martand Sun Temple Hours
- Recommended time to visit is Summer and Autumn.
- Local shacks
- sweet marts
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jammu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jammu and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Martand Sun Temple Address: Martand Sun temple, Anantnag, Jammu and Kashmir, India
- Martand Sun Temple Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Martand Sun Temple(preferred time): 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
92% of people who visit Jammu include Martand Sun Temple in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
45.83% of people start their Martand Sun Temple visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Martand Sun Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Martand Sun Temple
People normally club together Hari Parbat Fort and Sanasar while planning their visit to Martand Sun Temple.
People also prefer to end their day with Martand Sun Temple.