Gethsemane866 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Jericho Rd, Jerusalem, Israel
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +972-26266430
- Tags: Religious Site, Garden, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature
The Garden of Gethsemane has an ancient Olive garden where Jesus would visit quiet often with his disciples to pray and where they slept the night before Jesus was crucified.
It was at this very place that the soldiers arrested Jesus Christ and handed him over to Pontius Pilate. Today, the garden is a place of worship and still echoes its stories.
The calm, tranquil ambience of the place is apt for taking a few minutes and offering a prayer in silence while a walk through the premises is akin to touching history.
Gethsemane Travel Tips
- Other Contact No: +972-26266444
Opening and closing times of the Grotto of Gethsemane:
- Summer (April-September): 8.30 am – 12.00 pm / 2.30 pm – 5.00 pm
- Winter (October-March): 8.30 am – 12.00 pm / 2.30 pm – 5.00 pm
- The Grotto of Gethsemane closes at 4.00 pm on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Each day at 6:00 am (in Italian), Sunday at 7:00 am.
- Each Thursday at 4.00 pm (in Italian)
- Sunday Mass is followed by the Eucharistic adoration.
Holy Hour officiated:
- From Monday to Saturday at 8:00 pm -9:00pm. International Holy Hour - Reservations are required at Franciscan Pilgrims' Office - FPO.
- The first Thursday of each month at 8.30 pm with procession around the Holy Orto.
How to Reach Gethsemane
- Bus: At Jericho Road / through Ophel
- Light Rail: At Damascus Gate (1.2 kilometers away)
- By Taxi
- Rent a Bike
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Jerusalem before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jerusalem and book an accommodation of your choice.
42.04% of people who visit Jerusalem include Gethsemane in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
55.71% of people start their Gethsemane visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Gethsemane
92.35% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Gethsemane
Gethsemane Reviews & Ratings
This place was really quiet and very interesting when I went. Love the history behind it.
Well preserved place depicting the garden of Gethsemane from the Bible. It is beautiful and the church although modern has a beautiful architecture.
Absolutely beautiful gardens and really brings home the moments Jesus spent praying for your fate to pass him over. The church of all nations here is quite spectacular
Pretty garden. Definitely worth a visit. Take time for reflection.
Our priest said mass this morning at the altar among the olive trees. It was inspirational.