Gethsemane - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Jericho Rd, Jerusalem, Israel
Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 3.3K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Garden, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature
Online trip planning was never so much of fun!
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Need more info?
About Gethsemane, Jerusalem
The Garden of Gethsemane has an ancient Olive garden where Jesus would visit quiet often with his disciples to pray and where they slept the night before Jesus was crucified.
It was at this very place that the soldiers arrested Jesus Christ and handed him over to Pontius Pilate. Today, the garden is a place of worship and still echoes its stories.
The calm, tranquil ambience of the place is apt for taking a few minutes and offering a prayer in silence while a walk through the premises is akin to touching history.
- Other Contact No: +972-26266444
Gethsemane Opening and Closing Hours
Opening and closing times of the Grotto of Gethsemane:
- Summer (April-September): 8.30 am – 12.00 pm / 2.30 pm – 5.00 pm
- Winter (October-March): 8.30 am – 12.00 pm / 2.30 pm – 5.00 pm
- The Grotto of Gethsemane closes at 4.00 pm on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Each day at 6:00 am (in Italian), Sunday at 7:00 am.
- Each Thursday at 4.00 pm (in Italian)
- Sunday Mass is followed by the Eucharistic adoration.
Holy Hour officiated:
- From Monday to Saturday at 8:00 pm -9:00pm. International Holy Hour - Reservations are required at Franciscan Pilgrims' Office - FPO.
- The first Thursday of each month at 8.30 pm with procession around the Holy Orto.
How To reach Gethsemane by Public Transport
- Bus: At Jericho Road / through Ophel
- Light Rail: At Damascus Gate (1.2 kilometers away)
- By Taxi
- Rent a Bike
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Jerusalem before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Jerusalem and book an accommodation of your choice.
Gethsemane, Jerusalem Reviews
Know that there are 2 gethsemanes... one recognized by catholics and the other for Christians. They are just right beside each other found at the foot of the mount of olives.
A moment for you and your faith. For a meditation that make you more a human. A moment for you to stop for a while and look backwards and forwards at your life.
It's a very holy place for Christians well maintained by Israeli government. A very peaceful location a wonderful place to visit
Serene location, beautiful old olive trees surrounded stunning flowers and a gorgeous old church. A truly special place.
An ok place to visit. Nothing really special to see here though. The plants didn't look that special but the overall scenery overlooking it was nice. If you're not aware of the Bible' history, you're better off to let this place left aside and enter the Old City instead.