How to Reach Jerusalem - The Easiest Way to Reach Jerusalem
HOW TO GET TO JERUSALEM
- The Ben Gurion Airport is located around 54 kilometers from the city. Jerusalem is located to the south-east of the airport and takes a little over an hour of journey time. The airport is nick named ‘Nut Bug’ and has one of the world's largest duty-free shopping malls. You can take the high speed train from here to reach Jerusalem.
- Another airport is the Queen Alia Airport in Anman and offers private Taxi services to Jerusalem.
- Jerusalem is part of the Israel Railway network (with Malkha being the city train station) which is a preferred way to travel if you are starting from neighboring cities like Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva, Rishon LeZion, Ramla and Bet Shemesh among others and want to go for a budget option.
- From Tel Aviv you can find hourly trains to Jerusalem from around 5.00 am to around 8.00 pm which takes around 1 and a half hour.
- Busses are the most budget and organized way to reach Jerusalem.
- The central Bus station at Jaffa Street is the city’s main bus terminal. From Tel Aviv you will take around an hour to reach Jerusalem by bus.
By Light Rail:
- A new Light-rail line is introduced in the city which connects Jerusalem to its neighboring cities.
By Shared Taxi:
- During Shabbat, no other modes of transport function, leaving you with only shared Taxis to travel to Jerusalem. If you are travelling from Ramallah, Bethlehem, Jericho, Abu-Dis or from any other city and village outside of Jerusalem, shared Taxis are a good way to reach the city. The prices are pre-determined and without a meter.
HOW TO GET AROUND JERUSALEM
Getting around Jerusalem is pretty easy and with the news of the new Light Rail network, it only gets better.
- Busses are operated well around the city but if you are a tourist, you will have a hard time figuring out the route. English is not a local language here so you will need someone who can translate. The ticket prices are fixed no matter where you get down and can be bought when you board the bus.
- The tour busses take you around the old Jerusalem and cover all the major attractions for a day-pass price and is preferred if you are staying only for a day or two.
- Buses in Jerusalem do not function on Shabbat (30 minutes before sunset on Friday until at least 30 minutes after sunset on Saturday) and on other religious holidays.
- Taxis are easily available but you have to make sure that the pricing should be by meter.
By Light Rail/ Tram:
- The Light rail is a good way to get around the city if you are looking for a way to travel to or from the north-eastern or the south-western neighborhoods. You will need a Rav-kav card to use the service.
- The light rail service closes down for a few hours before Shabbat on Friday afternoon and resumes a few hours after the end of Shabbat on Saturday night.
By renting a Bike/ Car:
- The best ‘off the beaten track’ way to see Jerusalem is by renting a bike or a car and cruising through the ancient streets and historic nooks and corners. Bike rentals are easily available for a daily rental charge.
- Nothing beats the experience of walking through the ruins, tombs, souks and shopping streets and really absorbing the city’s soul. Exploring the Old City is best done on foot.
Are you looking for a Jerusalem travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Jerusalem
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Jerusalem. The most preferred mode of transport in Jerusalem is Bus/Trolleybus.
Average distance: 16.94 km Average time: 40.43 min
Bus/Trolleybus 42.86%Bus 36.67 min Waiting 4 min Other 3.33 min Walking 1 min Overall average time for 23.5 kms 45 min
Bike 14.29%Bike 10 min Overall average time for 2.1 kms 10 min
Car 28.57%Driving 40 min Walking 1.5 min Overall average time for 20 kms 41.5 min
Walking 14.29%Walking 45 min Driving 10 min Overall average time for 6 kms 55 min
How to Reach Jerusalem from Nearby Cities
|Bethlehem to Jerusalem||5.81 km||5 mins|
|Al-bireh to Jerusalem||13.13 km||13 mins|
|Kfar tapu'ah to Jerusalem||31.99 km||31 mins|
|Ma'ale efraim to Jerusalem||34.67 km||34 mins|
|Rehovot to Jerusalem||46.14 km||46 mins|
|Petah tikva to Jerusalem||46.63 km||46 mins|
|Or yehuda to Jerusalem||47.36 km||47 mins|
|Ness ziona to Jerusalem||48.19 km||48 mins|
|Rishon lezion to Jerusalem||50.25 km||50 mins|
|Ramat gan to Jerusalem||51.13 km||51 mins|