Johor Bahru Tourism
Visit Johor Bahru - Best of Johor Bahru
Johor Bahru, commonly referred to as JB, is the southernmost city in Malaysia. One of the largest cities in the country, Johor Bahru tourism boasts of about 16 million tourists annually! Connected to Singapore by two bridges, it is calculated that over 3, 00,000 of the city’s residents work in Singapore. Bet this is information your Johor Bahru travel guide did not tell you! The same is the case with Singaporeans. Many of the country’s residents go to Johor Bahru to shop. Talk about loving thy neighbour!
Once known as a dirty, chaotic border town, Johor Bahru has completely turned around and in now known for its clean streets, bustling markets and malls and a booming economy. There are plenty of places to visit and things to do in Johor Bahru. The city has been the capital of the Sultanate of Johor since 1899. Hence you will find a couple of beautiful palaces in Johor Bahru.
If you are planning a trip to this vivacious city, here’s all the travel information you will need to plan a perfect Johor Bahru travel itinerary- from when to visit to where to stay to what to see.
Johor Bahru Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Johor Bahru tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +8 hours. No daylight saving time is observed.
- Currency: The Currency operational in Malaysia is Ringgit
- Electricity: Electrical sockets (outlets) in Malaysia are the "Type G " British BS-1363 type. If your appliance's plug doesn't match the shape of these sockets, you will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in.
- Internet: Some of the Internet providers in Malaysia are: TM Net, Maxis Broadband, Time Dotcom, etc.
- Language: Malay is the predominant language spoken in Malaysia.
- Emergency Contacts: Police & Ambulance : 999, Tourism Headquarters : 03-2693-5188
- Tipping: Not mandatory, but appreciated.
Customs and Safety tips:
- Do not kiss in public. Malaysians refrain from displaying any personal affection in public.
- Beware of snatch thieves.
- Avoid travelling alone at night, stay indoors instead.
- Always take the RED taxis, the BLUE taxis are overpriced.
- Do not drink tap water.
- There are strict laws against the usage of drugs in Malaysia.
- Remove your shoes before entering a Malaysian home, a temple or a Mosque.
- Do convert most of your currency in Malaysia only, since the country does not allow a huge number of Ringgit in or out of country.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Johor Bahru and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Johor Bahru- Know before you go to Johor Bahru
Facts and Stats for Johor Bahru*
Pollution Statistics in Johor Bahru
Know the pollution level of Johor Bahru before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 68.18 (High)
Water Pollution 53.13 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 44.44 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 66.67 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 43.75 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 66.67 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 75 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 55.56 (Moderate)
Johor Bahru: Crime and Safety
How safe is Johor Bahru for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Johor Bahru.
Burglary and Theft 64.14 (High)
Mugging and Robbery 62.5 (High)
Assault and Armed Robbery 61.36 (High)
Corruption and Bribery 69.59 (High)
Car Stealing 65.91 (High)
Robbery of Car belongings 68.18 (High)
Attacks 53.57 (Moderate)
Drug offense 50.33 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 53.62 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during night 27.3 (Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 42.86 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 38.96 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 68.09 (High)
Living in Johor Bahru - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Johor Bahru is 97.59 (Moderate)
Safety Index 40.29 (Moderate)
Climate Index 64.56 (High)
Pollution Index 72.71 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 37.5 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 50.43 (Low)
Health Care Index 56.81 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 12.56 (High)
Purchasing Power Index 45.09 (Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Johor Bahru
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Johor Bahru
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.08 USD
International Movie per seat 4.35 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 29.78 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 80.22 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 65.12 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Johor Bahru Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Johor Bahru
- Cities Near Johor Bahru
- Benut Tourism
- Rengit Tourism
- Kluang Tourism
- Kahang Tourism
- Batu Pahat Tourism
- Labis Tourism
- Melaka Tourism
- Port Dickson Tourism
- Kuala Lumpur Tourism
- Top cities from Malaysia
- Penang Hill Tourism
- Ipoh Tourism
- Cameron Highlands Tourism
- Kota Kinabalu Tourism
- Kuching Tourism
- Miri Tourism
- Jelapang Tourism
- Kampung Juru Tourism
- Tanjung Tualang Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Lamadelaine Tourism
- Dnipro Kart Tourism
- Graty Tourism