Johor Bahru Tourism
Johor Bahru, commonly referred to as JB, is the southernmost city in Malaysia. One of the largest cities in the country, Johor Bahru tourism boasts of about 16 million tourists annually! Connected to Singapore by two bridges, it is calculated that over 3, 00,000 of the city’s residents work in Singapore. Bet this is information your Johor Bahru travel guide did not tell you! The same is the case with Singaporeans. Many of the country’s residents go to Johor Bahru to shop. Talk about loving thy neighbour!
Once known as a dirty, chaotic border town, Johor Bahru has completely turned around and in now known for its clean streets, bustling markets and malls and a booming economy. There are plenty of places to visit and things to do in Johor Bahru. The city has been the capital of the Sultanate of Johor since 1899. Hence you will find a couple of beautiful palaces in Johor Bahru.
If you are planning a trip to this vivacious city, here’s all the travel information you will need to plan a perfect Johor Bahru travel itinerary- from when to visit to where to stay to what to see.
Essential travel information and Johor Bahru tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT +8 hours. No daylight saving time is observed.
- Currency: The Currency operational in Malaysia is Ringgit
- Electricity: Electrical sockets (outlets) in Malaysia are the "Type G " British BS-1363 type. If your appliance's plug doesn't match the shape of these sockets, you will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in.
- Internet: Some of the Internet providers in Malaysia are: TM Net, Maxis Broadband, Time Dotcom, etc.
- Language: Malay is the predominant language spoken in Malaysia.
- Emergency Contacts: Police & Ambulance : 999, Tourism Headquarters : 03-2693-5188
- Tipping: Not mandatory, but appreciated.
Customs and Safety tips:
- Do not kiss in public. Malaysians refrain from displaying any personal affection in public.
- Beware of snatch thieves.
- Avoid travelling alone at night, stay indoors instead.
- Always take the RED taxis, the BLUE taxis are overpriced.
- Do not drink tap water.
- There are strict laws against the usage of drugs in Malaysia.
- Remove your shoes before entering a Malaysian home, a temple or a Mosque.
- Do convert most of your currency in Malaysia only, since the country does not allow a huge number of Ringgit in or out of country.
Johor Bahru Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Johor Bahru. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Johor Bahru trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Johor Bahru
Private Transfer : Johor Bharu (JB) to Kuala Lumpur (KL)
Laser Battle Experience in Johor Bahru
30 Mins1 Reviews
Private Johor Premium Outlets Shopping Tour from Kuala Lumpur
12 Hrs2 Reviews
Private Tour: Full Day Singapore Exploration from Johor Bahru
10 Hrs1 Reviews
2-Day LEGOLAND Malaysia PackageNew on TripHobo
LEGOLAND Malaysia Admission Ticket with Return Transfer from Kuala LumpurNew on TripHobo