Are you looking for what to do in Kaikoura?
THINGS TO DO
- All of the splendours of eco-tourism are available in Kaikoura; such as an abundance of marine tours, dives, wilderness walks and traditional Maori tours.
- During the day you can engage in various water sports such as fishing, kayaking and sailing in the Marlborough sounds, or view the Giant Sperm Whale that inhabit these waters year round. You can also see Dolphin, such as the rare Hector Dolphin, Fur Seals and Turtle, or even go shark diving.
- A major draw of this fishing village is its delicious seafood, especially Crayfish. So visit around the beginning of October and come to the Kaikoura Seafest, a food and beverage festival, with live entertainment, held at the Takahanga Domain on the Esplanade.
- For some profound history you could visit Fyffe House on Avoca Point, built on whale bones, this is the oldest remaining building of the Waiopuka Whaling Station.
- You can create a great memory and do a good deed by visiting Trees for Travellers, a non-profit charity, where you can plant a tree to commemorate your visit; you can buy trees online or enquire at the i-SITE Visitor’s Centre.
Try the following few spots for your night entertainment:
- Mayfair Theatre: Come here for the best music and dance, you will definitely enjoy.
- Strawberry Tree: A cool pub with pool tables, a beer garden and every Thursday night there is a night jam session. The interior decor is pretty nice.
- Whaler: Here you find big screens, large pool tables and a beer garden as well.
- Point Sheep Shearing Show: This is held at Point B&B, its fun and classic.
Below we have a list of things to do in Kaikoura and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Kaikoura getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Kaikoura with confidence.