Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kailua-kona
About Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kailua-kona
Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kailua-kona - Address, Phone Number
Address: 73-1944 Hao St, Kailua Kona, HI 96740, United States
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 6.6K times in trip plans
Landmark, Tour, Cafe, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Perfect place for all the Coffee lovers! Mountain Thunder is the largest organic coffee farm in the Country and educates its visitors about the whole process of obtaining coffee – from composting, roasting and bagging!
Visitors can choose between a free tour and a VIP tour. If you are a di hard coffee fan, then a VIP tour – Roast master of the Day is a must! You get a chance to roast the coffee for yourself and take it along as a souvenir!
Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation Information
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for the Tour.
Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation Ticket Prices
- VIP Tours- VIP ORGANIC KONA COFFEE FARM, MILL, AND ROASTERY DELUXE TOUR - $135 per person, Entry is free for children under five years.
- ROAST MASTER FOR A DAY PRIVATE LESSON - $199 per person, at least 6 people in the group.
- ORGANIC KONA COFFEE FARM AND MILL TOUR - $65 per person; Children under 9 years – Half the price; Children under 5 years of age - FREE
- Lunch at the site is optional – chargeable at $20.
Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation Opening and Closing Hours
- Tours are conducted every hour, starting from 10 AM. Last tour is at 4 PM.
- VIP Tours are conducted Monday to Friday – 10 AM. Each tour takes about two to three hours.
How To reach Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation by Public Transport
- It is best to hire a cab.
Restaurants Near Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation
- Lotus Cafe
- Bite Me Fish Market Bar & Grill
- Hayama Japanese Restaurant
- On the Rocks
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kailua-kona before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kailua-kona and book an accommodation of your choice.
Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kailua-kona Reviews - Write a Review
Off the beaten path for the normal Kona visitor but well worth the 20-minute trip inland. Rising to an elevation of 3200 feet and about 20 degrees cooler, Mountain Thunder coffee plantation is really cool place to see. They give free tours and free coffee tastings. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner, John, and we didn't bring any food with us and had some scooter troubles. He without hesitation offered us food from his own office and wouldn't take any money for it! Everyone was friendly, knowledgeable about the products that they sold and overall it was a great experience! It's only a few miles away from cloud forest, a great hiking trail! We will be back again!
I don't know much about coffee, and don't personally drink it. But my family and I booked a private tour of the place, and I enjoyed myself immensely. They drove us on ATVs into the plantation, and taught me a lot about the natural vegetation. Then we were walked through the industrial facilities to see how beans are sorted, dried, peeled, roasted, and even packaged. We got free samples and a goodie bag for booking the tour. The owner helped drive the second ATV, and we had some very interesting conversations about the coffee business with him. If I'm ever back on Hawai'i, I'll definitely book another one to see how his renovations turn out.
My boyfriend and I stopped in here for a free tour of the plantation and also to buy some Kona coffee after seeing them on a brochure. The tour was about 30 minutes and we learned a lot! It was great for a free price! You can also pay for a tour where you go down through the coffee trees, but the free one was great as well. The coffee was delicious and I'd recommend a stop in!
Great place for coffee lovers! Our tour was very informative (and free!) and our guide was knowledgeable about the entire coffee process from seed to cup. The coffee is excellent, and there are free samples of all of the roasts. They also make teas, soaps, and many other coffee products. Highly recommended
We had a great time here. The drive to get here was interesting as we got to see a few different changes in climate and vegitation. We were lucky enough to be able to chat with the owner who happened to be there. I found it quite interesting to hear about the different grades of coffee and how it is marketed. The young lady who gave us the tour was entertaining and knowledgeable. Well worth the time.
- Nearby Attractions
- Mokuaikaua Church
- Hulihe'e Palace
- Wawaloli Beach Park
- Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone State Park
- Kekaha Kai State Park
- Maniniowali Beach
- Mahai'ula Beach
- Kahaluu Beach Park
- Ali'i Gardens Marketplacce
- Kailua-kona Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Kailua-kona
- What to See in 48 Hours in Kailua-kona
- What to See in 72 Hours in Kailua-kona
- How to Spend 5 Days in Kailua-kona
- How to Spend 6 Days in Kailua-kona
- How to Spend 7 Days in Kailua-kona