Are you looking for what to do in Kalimpong?
PLACES TO SEE
Few of the must see tourist attractions of Kalimpong are:
- Durpin Gompa: It is Kalimpong’s largest monastery, resting on Durpin Hills. The whole place is a visual delight with impressive religious murals, intersecting 3D Mandalas and the stunning view of Khangchendzonga from the top.
- Thongsa Gompa: Also known as Bhutanese Monastery, it is a school based centre. Surrounded by 219 wheels, it is treat to all the senses.
- Neora Valley National Park: This birding haven has beautiful birds and indigenous animals of all kinds, in a backdrop of greens and fresh air.
- Tharpa Choling Gompa: This Gelugpa school contains statues of the past, present and future Buddhas.
- St. Teresa’s Church: This church was built to incorporate the designs from a Bhutanese Gompa by swiss Jesuits. It’s a beautiful coming together of history here.
- Lapcha Heritage Museum: It is an offbeat collection of Lepcha treasures which are fascinating in every detail of it.
- Dal Bahadur Statue: Situated at the heart of the town, it is a statue of a freedom fighter and Gandhian.
- Nurseryman’s Haven: Kalimpong is a major flower exporter and exports beautiful varieties of gladiolus and orchids.
- MacFarlane Church: Built in the 18th century, this one is Kalimpong’s most imposing church, with fascinating wood-buttressed Gothic interiors.
- Deolo Hill: It is a hill park with stunning view of the overlooking mountains at sunrise on a clear day.
THINGS TO DO
Kalimpong has a wide range of the most eventful activities to do and things to buy. They are exotic and indigenous in nature and exclusive to the place. Some of the must do things are:
- Shopping: During the trading days with Tibet, the whole town throngs to the main bazaar area to explore while not really creating a big hole in the pocket. The shopping scene in Kalimpong is exquisite.
- Nightlife: Quiet and serene Kalimpong has a slow pace, wherein all the shops shut down by 8-9 in the evening. Almost all hotels in Kalimpong have an in house bar.
Here are a few places that one must visit:
- Lark’s Provisions: This is the best place in town to serve locally produced cheese. It also serves the creamy milk lollipops and homemade pickles.
- Haat Bazaar: On two days every week, the place gets thronged with people, where it is normally quite otherwise. It has a plethora of merchandise ranging from textiles and food, along with other items of daily use.
- Kashi Nath & Sons: This is a must visit place for all the book lovers out there. It has books on Buddhism, Nepal and Tibet, along with books by international authors too.
The sole hangout place in place in Kalimpong is Melting Point, which has an impressive collection of mesmerizing tipples.
Below we have a list of things to do in Kalimpong and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Kalimpong getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Kalimpong with confidence.