Tongsa Gumba, Kalimpong
Tongsa Gumba, Kalimpong - Address
Address: Lower Gumba Hatta, Rajadhara, Kalimpong, West Bengal 734316
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 339 times in trip plans
Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Tongsa Gumba, Kalimpong
Hailed as the oldest Bhutanese Monastery in the area, it was built in the 16th century. The old monastery was destroyed and a new building was constructed in its place. Tourists are allowed to attend the prayer services that are carried out by the monks. Usually the monasteries have 108 drums, but this one has 219 drums, which is highly unusual. The top floor has new colorful fresco paintings but the ground floor ones are fading away. This place offers a very peaceful environment for prayers and meditation, wherein the monks offer their prayers everyday.
Tongsa Gumba Information
- You may not want to visit this place in the rainy season as exploring the outdoors would not be feasible then.
- Wearing of shoes and footwear is allowed inside.
- Food is available for purchase.
Tongsa Gumba Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
Tongsa Gumba Opening and Closing Hours
- The place stays open on all days of the week, including weekends and public holidays in the same timeframe.
- Timings during the Tibetan festivals may vary.
How To reach Tongsa Gumba by Public Transport
- By Bus: Teesta Bazar Bus Stop and Kalimpong Bus Station is the nearest bus stand to this place.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kalimpong before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kalimpong and book an accommodation of your choice.
Tongsa Gumba, Kalimpong Reviews - Write a Review
It's a very peaceful place
Good to visit..
Nice place to visit
This is not tosanga gumba.