Zang Dhok Palri MonasteryCurrently Closed
- Address: East Main Road, Chandraloke, Kalimpong, West Bengal 734301, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery - Review
Perched at the top of Durpin Hills, this is a beautiful monastery consecrated in its entirety by His Holiness Dalai Lama himself. Renowned as Durpin Monastery, it stands tall as a true specimen of Buddhist architectural style. There’s a row of prayer wheels on the outside of the wall of the monastery. The stairway leads upstairs, where you can see stunning views of rolling tea gardens as well as stunning views of Teesta river.
- There’s beautiful and exquisite Tibetan paintings on its wall.
- The meditation hall has stunning Mandalas which look three dimensional in appearance to woo you and calm you down.
- Durpin Monastery holds religious significance due to the presence of the sacred Kangyur.
"The Kangyur" was carried by Dalai Lama Himself when he was in exile. It’s a mystical account consisting of 108 volumes. The gompa is famous for its prayer hall wherein one can delve in the peace and calm. Devotees and tourist alike flock the monastery during Tibetan festivals.
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Information
- You may not want to visit this place in the rainy season as exploring the outdoors would not be feasible then.
- Photography is allowed.
- Wearing of shoes and footwear is allowed inside.
- Food is available for purchase.
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Opening and Closing Hours
- The place stays open on all days of the week, including weekends and public holidays in the same timeframe.
- Timings during the Tibetan festivals may vary.
How To reach Zang Dhok Palri Monastery by Public Transport
- By Bus: Kalimpong Bus Station and Teesta Bus Stop are the nearby bus stations.
- By Car: Regular share car services are available.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kalimpong before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kalimpong and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
95% of people who visit Kalimpong include Zang Dhok Palri Monastery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
38.32% of people start their Zang Dhok Palri Monastery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
93.08% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Map
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Trips
1 View14 Days 13 Nights14 Day Trip to Gangtok, Kalimpong, Pelling, Darjeeling from CalanguteBy: Guest UserCity: Gangtok, Pelling, Kalimpong, Darjeeling
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery, Kalimpong Reviews
Good place to visit with a fantastic Monastery and an awesome view point. This is Durpin Dara view point. The view is magnificent with sighting of Lava, lolegaon, Kalimpong city, teesta river and The Kanchendzonga.
The monastery has a breathtaking view. when i visited in january 2013 the lama of monastery had passed way and monastery inner sanctum was closed due to his last rites. witnessed the preparation of his last rites and it was phenomenal. The grandeur of the event was amazing . People from all walks of life came to have his last view. the upkeep of monastery is amazing and beautifully managed. There is a ground adjacent to the monastery where we witnessed a football match. A must visit place if you are visiting kalimpong.
Nice monastery, a good religious centre for the people and a great spot for tourists to spend some time and take pictures. It is worth a visit.
Photo friendly monastery with morning and evening prayers. Of note, the monastery is on an army base, so foreign nationals are required to show a passport upon entering the base.
It is supposed to be a very important site for present day Buddhism. On a first glance it is an idyllic beautiful place, with a brilliant view of the Kanchendzonga, might I say, the best viewpoint possible there.
All QuestionsZang dhok palri monastery
- Holland Park Amusements
- Forest Town Library
- Church Warsop Memorial Club
- Riley's American Pool & Snooker Club
- Enjoy A Ball
- Mansfield Gas Sports & Social Club
- Linden Social Club
- The Assemblies Of God Church
- The Salvation Army
- Shipleys Amusements
- Mansfield Superbowl
- Hudson, Mr Mark
- Big Barn Lane Methodist Church
- The Pcc Of The Ecclesiastical Parish Of St Peter & St Paul, Mansfield