Zang Dhok Palri MonasteryCurrently Closed
- Address: East Main Road, Chandraloke, Kalimpong, West Bengal 734301, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery - Review
Perched at the top of Durpin Hills, this is a beautiful monastery consecrated in its entirety by His Holiness Dalai Lama himself. Renowned as Durpin Monastery, it stands tall as a true specimen of Buddhist architectural style. There’s a row of prayer wheels on the outside of the wall of the monastery. The stairway leads upstairs, where you can see stunning views of rolling tea gardens as well as stunning views of Teesta river.
- There’s beautiful and exquisite Tibetan paintings on its wall.
- The meditation hall has stunning Mandalas which look three dimensional in appearance to woo you and calm you down.
- Durpin Monastery holds religious significance due to the presence of the sacred Kangyur.
"The Kangyur" was carried by Dalai Lama Himself when he was in exile. It’s a mystical account consisting of 108 volumes. The gompa is famous for its prayer hall wherein one can delve in the peace and calm. Devotees and tourist alike flock the monastery during Tibetan festivals.
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Information
- You may not want to visit this place in the rainy season as exploring the outdoors would not be feasible then.
- Photography is allowed.
- Wearing of shoes and footwear is allowed inside.
- Food is available for purchase.
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Hours
- The place stays open on all days of the week, including weekends and public holidays in the same timeframe.
- Timings during the Tibetan festivals may vary.
How To reach Zang Dhok Palri Monastery by Public Transport
- By Bus: Kalimpong Bus Station and Teesta Bus Stop are the nearby bus stations.
- By Car: Regular share car services are available.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kalimpong before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kalimpong and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
95% of people who visit Kalimpong include Zang Dhok Palri Monastery in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
46.94% of people start their Zang Dhok Palri Monastery visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Zang Dhok Palri Monastery
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery Trips
Zang Dhok Palri Monastery, Kalimpong Reviews
Nice and beautiful view of Kalimpong city. There was prayer going on when we were there. Outer view is pretty awesome.
Nice place to visit,has an amazing view of kalimpong,sikkim,darjeeling.
nice place to be with family and friends. also the view of kalimpong town is beautiful from the monastery
A beautiful Monastery.... Silent place with lots of happiness...
The monastery has a breathtaking view. when i visited in january 2013 the lama of monastery had passed way and monastery inner sanctum was closed due to his last rites. witnessed the preparation of his last rites and it was phenomenal. The grandeur of the event was amazing . People from all walks of life came to have his last view. the upkeep of monastery is amazing and beautifully managed. There is a ground adjacent to the monastery where we witnessed a football match. A must visit place if you are visiting kalimpong.