British Garrison Cemetery3492 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Near National Museum, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Timings: 08:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Cemetery, Family And Kids
This colonial find is a peacefull place to visit. This cemetery is a short walk uphill behind the National Museum. There are 163 graves of youngsters and elders who came to Sri Lanka from England and north Britain. The most striking aspect of a visit to this melancholy place is just how young most people were when they died – if you made it to forty you were of a very ripe old age. Some of the deaths were due to sunstroke, elephants or jungle fever. The Cargills of supermarket fame lie here.
British Garrison Cemetery Travel Tips
- Local guides are available.
How to Reach British Garrison Cemetery
- You can hire a three-wheeler which is called a tuk-tuk. Walking is also recommended as all the attractions are close to each other.
- History restaurant- Indian
- Sri Lankan food
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kandy before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kandy and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Kandy include British Garrison Cemetery in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
39.61% of people start their British Garrison Cemetery visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see British Garrison Cemetery
65.28% of people prefer walking in order to reach British Garrison Cemetery
People normally club together National Museum Kandy and Temple Of Sacred Tooth Relic Or Sri Dalada Maligawa while planning their visit to British Garrison Cemetery.