Kandy MonasteriesCurrently Open [Closes at 11:00 pm]
- Address: Palace Square, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Timings: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Religious Site, Monastery
Kandy Monasteries - Review
The principal viharas (Buddhist complexes) in Kandy have considerable importance – the high priests of the two best known, Malwatte and Asgiriya, are the most important in Sri Lanka. These temples are the headquarters of two of the main nikayas (orders of monks). The head monks also administer the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic. The Malwatte Maha Vihara is across the lake from the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, while the Asgiriya Maha Vihara is off Wariyapola Sri Sumanga Mawatha, northwest of the town centre. It has a large reclining Buddha image.
Kandy Monasteries Information
- It is a religious place, so try to keep intact the sanctity of the place and make way for the local devotees.
- It is best to be full clad while visiting the shrine.
- Remove your footwear before entering but it is advisable to wear the socks so as to avoid your feet from burning.
How To reach Kandy Monasteries by Public Transport
- Take the tuk-tuk or rent a car to get here.
Restaurants Near Kandy Monasteries
- Flower Song Chinese Restaurant- authentic Chinese food.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kandy before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kandy and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Kandy Monasteries
95% of people who visit Kandy include Kandy Monasteries in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
41.27% of people start their Kandy Monasteries visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Kandy Monasteries
94.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kandy Monasteries