Royal Botanic GardensCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Royal Botanic gardens, Peradeniya, Sri lanka, Kandy
- Timings: 07:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: 9481-2388088
- Ticket Price: 110 LKR
- Tags: Garden, Botanical Garden
These gardens that attract over 2 million visitors annually display an exotic collection of orchids. Its assortment of flora includes more than 4000 species of plants. Spread over 470 hectares, the collection included variety of orchids, spices, medicinal plants and palm trees. The classical Avenue of Palms is located in this garden and this garden was also used as headquarters of south East Asia command in World War 2.
A major attraction is the giant Javan fig tree on the great lawn. Covering 2500 sq metres, it’s like a giant, living geodesic dome as imagined by Escher or Hundertwasser. There is a huge section of trees planted by famous people which is worth observing.
The hodgepodge of spice plantation like nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves will interest your nose buds. Cannonball trees and cabbage palms punctuate a couple of the elegant avenues, and the avenue of double coconut palms (coco de mer) has massive fruit up to 20kg.
- The cafeteria provides a spread of western as well as Sri Lankan cuisine. But its best to pack your lunch as the food there is expensive.
- The garden is a great picnic spot.
- Plucking the flowers, uprooting the plants implies to penalty. The garden rules are strict and its best to abide by them.
- The ticket price for children is LKR 550.
- Bus no 644 from Kandy’s clock tower bus stop goes here.
- Hire a 3 wheeler or a van.
- Many taxi drivers incorporate a visit to the gardens with Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage or Kandy temple loop.
- Kamuko Restaurants Pvt. Ltd.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kandy before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kandy and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.28% of people who visit Kandy include Royal Botanic Gardens in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
46.08% of people start their Royal Botanic Gardens visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Royal Botanic Gardens
93.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Royal Botanic Gardens