The Udawatta Kele is a lush tropical rain forest reserve on a hill ridge in the centre of Kandy. It has a long history dating back centuries. It was a Royal, forbidden forest by the Sinhala kings who ascended the throne when Kandy became the capital city. Located above the Temple of the Tooth (Sri Dalada Maligawa) and the royal palace, this verdant jungle is home to many kinds of animals and birds, trees and creepers. There are several Buddhist monasteries in and around the forest as well as a few Buddhist cave dwellings. Near the main entrance there is a large pond, the Raja Pokuna, or Royal Bathing Pond. The forest is popular with bird watchers.
North of the lake, this forest has huge trees, birds and loads of cheeky monkeys. This sanctuary is famous for bird watching and shutterbugs who love to take a glimpse will be delighted.
Udawattakelle Sanctury Travel Tips
- The last ticket is issued at 4.30 pm.
- A special arrangement can be made to enter the sanctuary as early as 6.00 am. This is an awesome chance for the birdwatchers but prior permission is required.
- Beware of muggers if you are visiting alone.
- Female travelers should be extra cautious for the safety if traveling alone.
Entrance Ticket Details For Udawattakelle Sanctury
- The entry fee for Children under 12 years is LKR 322.
How to Reach Udawattakelle Sanctury
- You have to hike from the temple of sacred tooth to get here.
- Flower Song Restaurant
- The Bake House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kandy before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kandy and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Kandy include Udawattakelle Sanctury in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
35.03% of people start their Udawattakelle Sanctury visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Udawattakelle Sanctury
91.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Udawattakelle Sanctury
Udawattakelle Sanctury Reviews & Ratings
Do you allow this place for photoshootAnswer Report Abuse
how old couples are visite this place?Answer Report Abuse