Visit Kangaroo Island - Best of Kangaroo Island
Located just off the South Australian mainland, Kangaroo Island is the third largest island of the continent. Famed for its bountiful natural vegetation, diverse wildlife and immaculate beaches, Kangaroo Island is on the trip planners of several explorers. Also, the island is well-known for its delicious food, wineries and the special honey extracted from rare Liguarian bees.
Detached from the continent 10,000 years ago, Kangaroo Island was first inhabited by Aboriginal tribes. The island was colonized by the Europeans in the 19th century after British Explore Matthew Flinders and French commander Nicholas Baudin arrived in the island one after the other. However, proper settlements in the region, especially Kingscote began in the 1830s after independent settlers reached Kangaroo Island.
The itineraries of Kangaroo Island usually involve native bushlands brimmed with exotic wildlife, picturesque underground caves and pristine bays. For years, it has been considered home to kangaroos, penguins, echidnas, and many other species of birds and animals that are endangered.
Kangaroo island is also known for its rugged rock formations and national parks cloaked with lush-green trees and shrubbery. There are also a number of adventure sports and activities to do like snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming and surfing that add to the island’s attractions.
Abundance of natural reserves, wonderful marine life and delectable food and wine made Kangaroo Islands the 4th largest tourism centre in Australia. So, drives here on your next holiday, explore various places to visit in the Island and lastly, treat yourself to a sumptuous local meal.
Kangaroo Island Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Kangaroo Island tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Australian Central Time Zone: UTC+09:30.
- Currency: AUD (Australian Dollar)
- Electricity: Mains voltage in Australia is 230V 50Hz. Travellers from most nations in Asia, Africa and Europe should have appliances that work on the same mains voltage as Australia - therefore you will not need a voltage converter. Notable exceptions to this are Japan, USA and Canada which uses 100/120V 50/60Hz.
- Internet: Mobile phone coverage on the island is quite good as long as you have a Telstra Next G device. Limited GSM services are provided by Telstra, Three Mobile and Optus around the population centres of Kingscote and Penneshaw and the road between them.
- Language: Australian English is the predominant language spoken here.
- Emergency Contacts: 000 is the official contact number for Police, fire and ambulance emergencies.
- Tipping: At Restaurants: 10–15 percent for the waiter, At Hotels: $1 per bag, $10–$20 to the concierge for a favor; $1–$5 per day to the housekeeper, depending on how messy you are.
- Stay in limits while driving on the road. Though the roads in Kangaroo Island are comparatively safe, it is better to stay in the limits.
- Carry windbreaker jackets as it might be windy and drizzly often.
- Watch your step while you are exploring the remarkable rocks as it might be slippery due to the wet weather.
Are you looking for a Kangaroo Island travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Kangaroo Island Tourist Information
Kangaroo Island Itineraries
52596 Views8 Days 7 Nights8 Day Trip to Kangaroo Island from Kangaroo Island
56833 Views6 Days 5 Nights6 Day Trip to Kangaroo Island from Kangaroo Island
51100 Views5 Days 4 Nights5 Day Trip to Kangaroo Island from Kangaroo Island
59297 Views2 Days 1 Night2 Day Trip to Kangaroo Island from Kangaroo Island
445 Views3 Days 2 NightsExplore best places of Kangaroo Island in just 3 daysBy: James Bailey
Kangaroo Island Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island Shore Excursion: Food and Wine Trail Tour5 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
Kangaroo Island has plenty to offer everyone. Visit one of the islands vineyards, three of the islands popular gourmet food o...Book Now
Save 7%Kangaroo Island Quad Bike Tour5 Reviews
Explore an otherwise inaccessible part of Kangaroo Island on a guided ATV tour through open grassland, native bush and rocky ...
Save 7%Kangaroo Island Sandboard RentalNew on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs
When visiting Kangaroo Island, head to Vivonne Bay to try sandboarding, a sport like surfing, snowboarding or skateboarding b...
Save 7%Kangaroo Island Toboggan RentalNew on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs
When visiting Kangaroo Island, try tobogganing on the sand dunes of Vivonne Bay. Your 2-hour toboggan rental includes access ...