Created in 1955, the Kanha National Park is a genesis of an attempt to preserve a variety of animal species. Currently the national park is among the few most scenic and beautiful wildlife reserves in Asia. Popular as the 'Tiger Country', it is indeed the ideal home for both the predator as well as prey.
Home to this rich wildlife are the open grassy meadows. Here spotting a blackbuck, swamp deer, sambhar and chital is a common thing. This is one place, where you are the wild’s habitat! While you can spot tigers in the zoos, circuses and some forests, rarely will you spot one as frequently as you will at the Kanha National Park.
Spanning across a massive 1,940 square kilometers, the most striking feature of this region is the horseshoe shape valley along with the whole park area surrounded by the spurs of the Mekal! And then we have the Surpan River meandering through Kanha's central grasslands that cover the extensive plateau. Further, offering breathtaking views of the valley are the steep rocky escarpments along the edges.
Of course, the wildlife is the what draws visitor to this national park. But the varied species of birds too are equally mesmerizing. However, the once extint barasinghas remain to be the most unique feature of the Kanha National Park.
Indeed, there are more reasons than one to experience this gem!
Essential travel information and Kanha tips for your visit
- Kanha National Park Time Zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency: Currency used in Kanha National Park is Indian Rupees.
- Electricity: India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet: 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Kanha National Park is Hindi.
- Security: Police 100, 231455, Fire 101, Ambulance 233614
- Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Refrain from getting overfriendly with strangers. Do not get too personal with people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, tourist guides, etc.
- Keep all your cash and valuables under lock and key in your hotel room.
- Morning safaris are the best ones to take.
Kanha Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Kanha. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Kanha trip planner.