Ezhimala149 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Payyanur, District- Kannur, Kerala, India Map
- Timings: 05:00 pm - 06:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Family And Kids, Hill
This place is also known as Elimala, Mooshika Sailam and Sapta Sailam. This is a high hill located in Payyanur in the District of Kannur in Kerala. This place is very important in ancient history and also the battlefield of the Chola – Chera. It was a flourishing city and a center of trade in the beginning of the Common Era. It is also believed by some that it was the abode of Lord Buddha for some time. This hill was once upon a time called as Mount Delly by the british or Monte D’Ely by the Portuguese.
According to Historical evidences, Ezhimala was a part of the Ramanthali Panchayath. This was one of the most flourishing times in the ancient history of Kerala. At this time the state was ruled by the Mushika Royal Family whose first king was Ramaghata Mooshika. He made Ezhimala as his capital. The later kings of this very dynasty are now better known as the Kolathiri Dynasty. Later the successors of King Ramaghata shifted their capitals to Pazayangadi, Valabhapattanam and other nearby places.
Another important attraction here is the large Indian Naval Academy here. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the year 2009. The academy trains candidates of the naval force and the Indian Coast Guards.
Ezhimala Travel Tips
- It is an ideal place for photography due to its amazing surrounding view.
How to Reach Ezhimala
- The nearest railway station is at Payyanur.
- The nearest airport is at Bajpe, Mangalore.
- The nearest town is Ramanthali.
- Spice Kitchen
- Officer’s Kitchen
- Indian Coffee House
- Bake O Fresh
- Parkhans Restaurant
- Navaratna Restaurant
- Omras Restaurant
- Wheat House
- SMV Restaurant
- Jimmy George
- Sitapani Restaurant
- Cool Land Family Restaurant
- Karawi Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kannur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kannur and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Ezhimala Address: Payyanur, District- Kannur, Kerala, India
- Ezhimala Timing: 05:00 pm - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Ezhimala: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
14.77% of people who visit Kannur include Ezhimala in their plan
95% of people start their Ezhimala visit around 5 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Ezhimala
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ezhimala
People normally also visit Muzhapillangad Beach while planning their trip to Ezhimala.