Kaohsiung is one of the major cities in southern-western Taiwan and is one of the popular tourist destinations around. It was a tiny trading village in the past that became popular as the Harbour Capital of Taiwan and has transformed into a political and economic center of the state. This port city started gaining recognition in the early 17th-century and still has well-preserved structures that represent its history. These places have a significant place in Kaohsiung tourism as they attract travellers from around the world. From the Cemetery of Zhenghaijun to Former British Consulate at Takao and from the oldest lighthouse in the city to Shoushan National Nature Park, this city offers a range of places for history lovers.
But Kaohsiung is much more than a city with historical sites. It is a bustling place with grand architectural structures, well-manicured parks, riverside boulevards, captivating night markets, and exuberant nightlife. Be it a family vacation or a bachelor party in Kaohsiung, this city will never disappoint you. The best thing about tourism in Kaohsiung is that it has a blend of ancient and modern. That makes it a destination for every type of tourist. As it is one of the important cities in Taiwan, it is well-connected with the rest of the world by air and has an extensive network of public transport within the city. You will never face any difficulties while exploring this beautiful seaside city. Keep in mind that the best time to visit Kaohsiung is from October to January. It welcomes thousands of tourists during these months.
There was a time when Kaohsiung was overlooked due to the popularity of Taipei. But it is gaining popularity over the last few decades. Many people also plan their visit according to festivals that are celebrated in Kaohsiung. Be it a Chinese New Year or the Lantern Festival, each is celebrated with much zeal. Attending these festivities will give you a chance to soak in the local flavour. But, whenever you visit Kaohsiung, it will greet you with spectacular urban landscapes that have beautifully maintained green spaces. That is why you must plan a trip to Kaohsiung to experience this fascinating mix of man-made grandeur and eye-soothing natural beauty.
Essential travel information and Kaohsiung tips for your visit
- Time zone : UTC+8 (National Standard Time)
- Currency : New Taiwan Dollar
- Electricity and internet: The standard voltage in Kaohsiung is 110 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz. You will find that the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. You will never have to worry about internet connectivity in Kaohsiung as the city is dotted with free public Wi-Fi spots.
- Languages : Taiwanese, Standard Chinese, English
- Security : 24-hour Hotline: 1999; 886-7-3358080; 886-972605333
- Tipping: Tipping is not compulsory in Taiwan but is appreciated.
- Tourist traps: Do not rent a bike from a shop that does not ask for documents like a driver license.
- Customs: Remove shoes before entering someone’s home.
Kaohsiung Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Kaohsiung. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Kaohsiung trip planner.