Sani MonasteryCurrently Open
- Address: Sani, Jammu & Kashmir, India, Kargil
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Historical Site, Statue, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery
The beautiful Sani Monastery is among the oldest religious centres of Tibetan Buddhism in Ladakh and Zanskar regions. It is situated in Sani village which lies on the way to Kargil. Belonging to the Drukpa Kargyu school of Tibetan Buddhism, it is the only one of its order in Zanskar which has nuns.
Sani Monastery was built in parts and hence you will find different architectural influences. The central praying hall of the monastery is decorated with intricate and colourful statues of Buddhist deities. On the walls, you will find frescoes and thangkas.
Sani Monastery Travel Tips
- Dress modestly.
- Please maintain the tranquillity of the place.
How to Reach Sani Monastery
- Sani Bus stop. An easy hike may be involved to reach the monatery.
- Padum bus stop is situated 6 kilometres from the monastery.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kargil before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kargil and book an accommodation of your choice.
62.32% of people who visit Kargil include Sani Monastery in their plan
95% of people start their Sani Monastery visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Sani Monastery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sani Monastery
People normally also visit Phuktal Monastery while planning their trip to Sani Monastery.