How to Reach Kastamonu
- By Air: Though Kastamonu has its own domestic airport, only flights from Istanbul land here. Daily one flight by Turkish Airlines from Istanbul Ataturk Airport to Kastamonu Airport and flights by Pegasus Airlines from Istanbul-Sabiha Gokcen to Kastamonu airport are operational here.
- By Road: Several buses ply to Kastamonu from Istanbul and Ankara daily. Metro Turizm and Ulusoy are the two popular bus operators who operate on the Istanbul-Kastamonu route. The ride usually takes around 8 hours. The journey from Ankara to Kastamonu is a 4-5-hour-long beautiful one, passing through magnificent Ilgaz Mountains. This is the most convenient and easiest option of getting into Kastamonu as the city is situated somewhat in a remote location and so, traveling by car can be a bit tedious.
- By Car: If you are traveling to Kastamonu from Istanbul in your own vehicle, you can take the D755 and then the D030 while if you are traveling from Ankara, you can take the D140 and the D765 to reach Kastamonu.
- By Bus: The most preferred mode of transport in Kastamonu is by buses. The blue public buses plying through the major centers of the city have a good frequency; hence, you can easily commute around Kastamonu with the help of these buses. The ticket rates are affordable, and the connectivity is fairly good. You can get all the information regarding the bus routes, tickets and frequency at the tourist information office.
- On Foot: A walk down the main street in Kastamonu is a good way to soak in the beautiful sights that the city has to offer. Located on the banks of the Gok river, this street is busy all-day long.