Bodnath StupaCurrently Closed
- Address: Boudhanath (Boudha),Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
- Timings: 05:00 pm - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +977-14256909
- Ticket Price: 150 NPR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids
They say there is no other place quite like Bodhnath. Easily, one of the most beautiful stupas and also one of the largest in Asia, Bodhnath reverberates surreal spiritualistic charm. Textbook perfect beauty, set amidst the mighty Himalayas, there are about 29 gompas in and around this majestic pilgrimage.
Many maroon clad Tibetan Buddhist monks & nuns can be seen walking around Boudha, especially at the Stupa. As a daily ritual, many people walk three or more times around the stupa while repeating the mantra 'Om Mani Padme Hum' that resonates through the incense-thick air. During the days of & surrounding the full moons, one can witness mantras sung by monks with the number of people visiting the Stupa increases significantly, along with the intensity of their mantras & prayers.
In the late afternoon, the group tours depart and elderly exiles stroll down to the stupa to light butter lamps, spin prayer wheels, chant mantras, socialise and perform a ritual clockwise circuit of the monument. Try to visit on the evening of the full moon, when the plaza surrounding the stupa is lit up by thousands of butter lamps.
Bodnath Stupa Travel Tips
- You can enjoy the Tibetan Bowl sound therapy when at the Boudhanath Stupa.
- Have a cuppa at one of the many restaurants on the roof to witness breathtaking views of the stupa and himalyas.
- While you are there, do visit the Taragaon Museum which is a great effort in documenting the cultural heritage of the Kathmandu Valley.
- Wear clothing that expresses respect for the sacred nature of the site.
- Take your shoes off before entering temple buildings and some shops. Follow the lead of the locals.
- Do not take pictures of people without their permission.
Entrance Ticket Details For Bodnath Stupa
- The entry fee can be waived for guests of hotels located at the other side of the stupa.
Bodnath Stupa Hours
- Best time to visit is early morning or at dusk when hundreds of devotees walk around the Stupa in prayer and devotion.
How to Reach Bodnath Stupa
- Bus stop: Mohankal Oralo Chowk bus stop.
- Old Bipul Chowk Bus Stop.
- Stupa Dining with Garden
- Paradise Restaurant
- A.T Burger Point
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kathmandu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kathmandu and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Kathmandu include Bodnath Stupa in their plan
5 PM - 6 PM
92.73% of people start their Bodnath Stupa visit around 5 PM - 6 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Bodnath Stupa
93.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bodnath Stupa