Changu NarayanCurrently Open
- Address: Changunarayan, Central Region, Nepal, Kathmandu Map
- Timings: 07:00 am - 09:00 am Details
- Phone: +977-14256909
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Nepal’s true gem, located 22 km from Kathmandu, the Changu Narayan temple is one of the oldest Vishnu shrines in the world. The temple is full of intricate carvings and paintings dating back to the Licchavi period, worthy of a UNESCO world heritage status. Part of the charm of this serene pilgrimage is the fact that it is not too crowded.
Apart from the main temple there are other shrines dedicated to Shiva, Chinna Masta (Kali), Ganesh and Krishna found in the courtyard. A pilgrimage to the temple of Chinna Masta, considered to be the mother goddess worshipped at the site in prehistoric times, is held here each year in the Nepali month of Baisaakh (April-May).
Changu Narayan Travel Tips
- It is better to hire a guide who can explain the history behind the carvings and paintings.
- Beware of vendors around the temple who will try to cheat you into buying expensive souvenirs.
How to Reach Changu Narayan
- Nyacho Pauwa bus stop is the closest to the temple. However,it is better to take a taxi from Kathmandu.
- Village Villa Restaurant.
- Shree Changunarayan Rooftop Restaurant.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kathmandu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kathmandu and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Changu Narayan Address: Changunarayan, Central Region, Nepal, Kathmandu
- Changu Narayan Contact Number: +977-14256909
- Changu Narayan Timing: 07:00 am - 09:00 am
- Time required to visit Changu Narayan: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
33.49% of people who visit Kathmandu include Changu Narayan in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
86.54% of people start their Changu Narayan visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Changu Narayan
90.45% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Changu Narayan
People normally club together The Crematoria and Garden Of Dreams while planning their visit to Changu Narayan.
People also prefer to start their day with Changu Narayan.