Durbar SquareCurrently Closed
- Address: Kathmandu 44600,Nepal
- Timings: 11:00 am - 01:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 750 NPR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Square
Durbar Square - Review
Dubar square is one of the most colourful and vibrant places in Kathmandu. Urrounded by heritage structures, temples and the Hanuman Dhoka palace, this square makes for a perfect beginning to your Nepalese sojourn.
Whether you are at the ‘freak’ street where both the hippies and Beatles hung out, or at the Hindu and Buddhist temples that are hundreds of years old, the Kathmandu square is a place that will leave you enthralled and intrigued. A UNESCO world heritage site, the Durbar Square, with its old temples, palaces and quaint alleys epitomizes the religious and cultural life of the people of Nepal.
The Durbar Square area is actually made up of two sub-areas. The outer complex is renowned for numerous interesting temples as Kumari Ghar, Kasthamandap, Shiv-Parbati Temple, Jagannath Temple, Big Bell etc, while the inner complex comprises of the old palace area, Hanuman-Dhoka and its courtyards such as Nasal Choke, Mul Choke, Sundari Choke, Basantapur Durbar . Besides the magnificent temples and shrines, its other interesting aspects are various festivals, cultural activities and traditions that people have followed from centuries, including the crowning of the kings of Nepal that have taken place at this square.
The sighting of the ‘Royal kumari’ or the living goddess at the square is an ethereal experience, watching all the adulation and devotion of the crowd towards her.
Durbar Square Information
- Great for people watching, this square will give you fantastic photographic memories. Do carry a camera.
- If you happen to be around the square when the Royal Kumari gives an appearance, do not take any photos of her, they are not permitted.
Durbar Square Ticket Prices
- There is an entrance fee to the square of 750 Nepali Rupees. Fees for locals and foreigners differ.
How To reach Durbar Square by Public Transport
- Nearest bus stop: NAC bus stop
- Bir Hospital Bus stop
- Ratna Park Bus stop
Restaurants Near Durbar Square
- Royal Heritage Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kathmandu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kathmandu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Durbar Square
95% of people who visit Kathmandu include Durbar Square in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
87.92% of people start their Durbar Square visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Durbar Square
94.19% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Durbar Square
Durbar Square Sightseeing Tours
Durbar Square Luxury & Special Occasions Tours
Durbar Square Culture & Theme Based Tours
Durbar Square Map
Durbar Square Trips
Durbar Square, Kathmandu Reviews
Durbar Square is very nice place in Nepal. This is a historical place where we can see lots of ancient works of Buddha. This place is fully aesthetics and lots of architectural views together. There is a loss of architecture within this master plan
The earthquake took a real toll on the structures and temples in Durbar Square. Most of the largest sustained immense damage and are being restored. Many of the upper stories of the temples collapsed. While under restoration, many of the buildings are covered in scaffolding and tarps, so there is little to see. The cost is 1000 Rupees per person to enter (roughly $10 per head at this time of writing). It is a little steep given the condition, but worthwhile as a donation to reconstruction. Watch out for the touts trying to sell you a guided tour. Just use the map of the area with descriptions and guide yourself.
A must see, must visit part of Kathmandu. A lot of wonderful work and effort is going into the restoration and maintenance of the entire complex. One encourages people to spend time here, well worth it.
Great historical site ,Monuments and temple area. Rich in culture and the designs carved in the woods and stones are just marvelous.
I told you it is one of the great place of history, i loved it when i visited it. It actually one of the place to visit once in a lifetime. I recommend this place for visit
All QuestionsDurbar square
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal