How to Reach Kathmandu - The Easiest Way to Reach Kathmandu
- By Air: This is the most preferable mode of conveyance to get to the Kathmandu Airport. There are international flights to Kathmandu available from Delhi, UAE, Qatar, Bangkok, Malaysia and China. A number of domestic flights are also available. Ensure that you confirm the bookings with the airlines and plan taking into account the delay of these Kathmandu flights which is quite prevalent.
- By Land: There are number of buses available from the Indian cities like Patna and Varanasi. They will drop you off to the Balaju bus station (north) or the Kalanki station (south) and you can hop on a mini bus which will take you the main city.
- By Train: There are no direct trains to Kathmandu so this isn’t a preferred option. If you want to travel by train, there are a number of trains to Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India after which you will have to opt for bus or private transportation to Kathmandu.
- If you love walks, on-foot exploration of Kathmandu is an amazing option.
- You can pick a taxi or rickshaw for specific places. The prices of these should be negotiated and finalized well in advanced and you cannot rely on the meters installed.
- The public transport is easily accessible and cheapest option to move around the city. There are round bus trips available at affordable rates and the buses have a cashier-cum-attendant who will notify you when you reach your desired stop. This is helpful because most of the boards and signs in Nepal are not in English. The Ratnapark bus station in Kathmandu offers bus service to almost every part of Kathmandu.
- There are no rental cars available with drive-yourself facility, so you have to take into account the fuel charges, the driver’s food (and accommodation if it is an overnight journey), the return trip charges while renting a private car. A motorbike can also be rented but it includes a risk as the traffic and roads aren’t safe enough.
Are you looking for a Kathmandu travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Kathmandu
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Kathmandu. The most preferred mode of transport in Kathmandu is Walking.
Average distance: 9.5 km Average time: 51.25 min
Walking 33.33%Walking 46.25 min Bike 8.13 min Driving 3.75 min Other 3.5 min Waiting 2.5 min Motorbike 2.13 min Bus 1.25 min Overall average time for 5.56 kms 67.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 20.83%Bus 30.6 min Walking 12 min Waiting 9.4 min Overall average time for 6 kms 52 min
Car 4.17%Driving 35 min Overall average time for 8 kms 35 min
Bike 25%Bike 30.83 min Overall average time for 11 kms 30.83 min
Motorbike 8.33%Motorbike 16 min Overall average time for 4.25 kms 16 min
Train/Metro 4.17%Train 20 min Bus 15 min Bike 15 min Driving 15 min Walking 6 min Waiting 5 min Other 2 min Overall average time for 55 kms 78 min
How to Reach Kathmandu from Nearby Cities
|Mahamanjushree nagarkot to Kathmandu||21.47 km||21 mins|
|Sindhuli gadhi to Kathmandu||30.44 km||30 mins|
|Patan to Kathmandu||40.64 km||40 mins|
|Jawalakhel to Kathmandu||41.12 km||41 mins|
|Bhubaneshwar to Kathmandu||62.89 km||1 hour 2 mins|
|Bhagalpur to Kathmandu||118.66 km||1 hour 58 mins|
|Dharan to Kathmandu||177.85 km||2 hours 57 mins|