How to Reach Kathmandu
- By Air: This is the most preferable mode of conveyance to get to the Kathmandu Airport. There are international flights to Kathmandu available from Delhi, UAE, Qatar, Bangkok, Malaysia and China. A number of domestic flights are also available. Ensure that you confirm the bookings with the airlines and plan taking into account the delay of these Kathmandu flights which is quite prevalent.
- By Land: There are number of buses available from the Indian cities like Patna and Varanasi. They will drop you off to the Balaju bus station (north) or the Kalanki station (south) and you can hop on a mini bus which will take you the main city.
- By Train: There are no direct trains to Kathmandu so this isn’t a preferred option. If you want to travel by train, there are a number of trains to Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India after which you will have to opt for bus or private transportation to Kathmandu.
- If you love walks, on-foot exploration of Kathmandu is an amazing option.
- You can pick a taxi or rickshaw for specific places. The prices of these should be negotiated and finalized well in advanced and you cannot rely on the meters installed.
- The public transport is easily accessible and cheapest option to move around the city. There are round bus trips available at affordable rates and the buses have a cashier-cum-attendant who will notify you when you reach your desired stop. This is helpful because most of the boards and signs in Nepal are not in English. The Ratnapark bus station in Kathmandu offers bus service to almost every part of Kathmandu.
- There are no rental cars available with drive-yourself facility, so you have to take into account the fuel charges, the driver’s food (and accommodation if it is an overnight journey), the return trip charges while renting a private car. A motorbike can also be rented but it includes a risk as the traffic and roads aren’t safe enough.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Kathmandu. The most preferred mode of transport in Kathmandu is Bike.
Average distance: 9.46 km Average time: 39.09 min
Bike 34.78%Bike 30 min Overall average time for 10 kms 30 min
Walking 13.04%Walking 20 min Waiting 8 min Bus 6.67 min Overall average time for 4.17 kms 34.67 min
Car 4.35%Driving 35 min Overall average time for 8 kms 35 min
Bus/Trolleybus 26.09%Bus 28.83 min Walking 11.67 min Waiting 8.67 min Overall average time for 5.75 kms 49.17 min
Motorbike 13.04%Motorbike 15.67 min Overall average time for 3.83 kms 15.67 min
Train/Metro 4.35%Train 20 min Bus 15 min Bike 15 min Driving 15 min Walking 6 min Waiting 5 min Other 2 min Overall average time for 55 kms 78 min