- Address: Thamel Rd,Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
- Timings: 11:00 am - 01:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Club, Restaurant, Entertainment, Tourist Center, Shopping Center
Thamel - Review
A hobo would feel at home in Thamel, fondly called the hippie ghetto of Kathmandu. Thamel attracts a number of people-watchers, bargain-seekers and lazy-strollers from all over. A great place for souvenir shopping and an even better way to feel the pulse of Nepal’s bustling capital, Thamel is always buzzing with activity.
There are many restaurants in Thamel that serve traditional and continental cuisine, although prices tend to be significantly higher than in non-tourist areas. Food hygiene is generally better, despite the overall lack of sanitation in Nepal.
Thamel also acts as the pre-base camp for mountaineers. It boasts a wide range of mountaineering gear shops, foreign money exchange booths, pubs, clubs, and nightlife along with the numerous travel agents and guest houses. All in all, Thamel is home to a wide range of the Nepalese population for entertainment and employment purposes.
- Bargaining in this area is a must. The prices of most products have been deliberately increased to accommodate negotiations in prices.
- A good place to get your currency exchanged into local currency because the shops in Thamel provide a better rate of exchange.
How To reach Thamel by Public Transport
- Nearest Bus stops: ASCOL
- Thamel Bus Stop.
- Kanti Path Bus stop. It is about a 20 minute taxi drive from Tribhuvan International Airport or about a 15 minute drive from the city bus station.
Restaurants Near Thamel
- Villa Everest Korean
- Helena’s Restaurant
- Bhojan griha
- Rum Doodle Bar & Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kathmandu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kathmandu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Thamel
69.91% of people who visit Kathmandu include Thamel in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
89.66% of people start their Thamel visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Thamel
91.9% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Thamel
2 Views8 Days 7 Nights8 Day Trip to Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nagarkot from BangaloreBy: Guest UserCity: Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nagarkot
2 Views9 Days 8 Nights9 Day Trip to Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nagarkot from DohaBy: Guest UserCity: Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nagarkot