Chaturbhuj Temple Tours
About Chaturbhuj Temple, Khajuraho
This temple is one of the temples in the southern chain of the Khajuraho Monuments. This was built during the reign of the Chandelas during the 11th century. The name is so derived from ‘chaturbhuj’, which means ‘one with four arms’. This is so with the presiding duty Lord Vishnu who has four arms. This temple is also called ‘Chattarbhuj’ given the name of the district in which it is situated.
Like the other temples here this is also divided into three parts, the porch, sanctum, and the innermost sanctum. This place is beautifully carved with motifs of women and their partners in love making postures. The walls also have sculptures of tigers, demi- gods and other diving digpalas.
The inner sanctorum has a nine leg structure with four arms. The two shorter arms depict delight and fearlessness and the other two has conch and a wheel. Apart from this main idol there is another idol of the lord Vishnu in a Narasimha Avatar. There is another idol of Lord Shiva in the Ardhanarishwara (half man-half woman) incarnation.
The controversy still has continued that it was originally a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva which has now become that of Lord Vishnu.
How To Get To Chaturbhuj Temple by Public Transport
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Restaurants Near Chaturbhuj Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Book Chaturbhuj Temple Tickets And Tours
Let's flee to Khajuraho, a religious haven that will send shivers down your spine with its very aphrodisiac appeal. One of the biggest attractions in North India, the city of Khajuraho is rightly termed as a 'Symbol of Medieval Heritage'. The city encases the largest group of medieval Hindu and Jain temples, famous for their erotic sculptures that present distinction in artistry and eminence in architectural style.
Travel worry-free from Khajuraho Airport to your hotel across the Amritsar city. Avoid the hassle of waiting in long taxi lines at the airport and arrive safely to your hotel with our private Car.
Make sure you don't miss your flight by booking private departure transfer from your Khajuraho hotels to the Khajuraho Airport. You will be greeted by English-speaking driver at your hotel and transferred on a private air-conditioned vehicle directly to the airport on time for your flight departure.
Enjoy the services of your local city expert to explore Khajuraho Kamasutra Temples your way on a private 4-hour walking tour. Your personal guide will assist you to plan your day in Khajuraho to suit your interests.
Share your experience - Rate Chaturbhuj Temple, Khajuraho
beautiful stone carving. clean and well maintained
Very beautiful temple located in southern part of khajuraho.
Very nice place. I am dmlt secondry student goragaon haryana india.
Lovely ancient temple with amazing Stone carvings
the idol here is with 4 arms but illustrates unik signs of shiv, vishnu, brmha, krishana in one singe immage also a bit difrant shape than other khajraho temple this temple is situated at south east corner of kahjuraho an near to the air pot strip
- Other Attractions
- Bhadiya Kund
- Sakhya Sagar Lake
- Survaya Ki Garhi
- Madhav Vilas Palace
- Karera Bird Sanctuary
- Tatya Tope Memorial
- Madikheda Dam
- Pawa Waterfall
- Bhoora Khon Waterfall
- Sultan Garh Fall
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Bhadiya Kund
- Hotels Near Sakhya Sagar Lake
- Hotels Near Survaya Ki Garhi
- 5 Star Hotels Near Madhav Vilas Palace
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Karera Bird Sanctuary
- Hotels Near Tatya Tope Memorial
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Madikheda Dam
- 5 Star Hotels Near Pawa Waterfall
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Bhoora Khon Waterfall
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Sultan Garh Fall
- City Tripplans
- Khajuraho Itinerary 2 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 7 Days
- 8 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 6 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 4 Days
- 5 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 1 Day
- Khajuraho Itinerary 5 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 3 Days
- Trip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Delhi, Amritsar, Dharamshala, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Alleppey