Chitragupta Temple342 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Timings: 05:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Chitragupta is a Hindu God who is assigned with the work of keeping records of all the activities of human beings on Earth. He is the one who decides our destinies and whether we will go to heaven or hell after our death according to our good or bad deeds in life. He is one of the many children of Lord Brahma but has a unique identity as he is said to be the only one to be born directly from his body.
This temple in the Khajuraho temple complex is dedicated to Surya Devta or the Sun God. The beautiful architecture of the temple consists of one main temple hall called the Mahamandapa, an entrance porch and most importantly a huge chamber which houses a stunning idol of the Sun God. The figure of the God here is shown riding a chariot drawn by seven horses. There are other three similar statues on the beams of the temple.
One of the most striking features of the temple is the exclusive octagonal shape of the ceiling which is exquisitely carved. It is just amazing! On the walls are the patent Khajuraho sculptures depicting beauty in the form of voluptuous women and couples in love making poses. Another eye-catching figure is the eleven headed Lord Vishnu that increases the charm of the temple even more.
It is a fact that the more you spend time in this temple complex you will just not want to come back.
Chitragupta Temple Travel Tips
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chitragupta Temple
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are:
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Chitragupta Temple Hours
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English: 6:00PM
- Hindi: 7:40 PM
How to Reach Chitragupta Temple
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
54.03% of people who visit Khajuraho include Chitragupta Temple in their plan
51.85% of people start their Chitragupta Temple visit around 06 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Chitragupta Temple
60% of people prefer walking in order to reach Chitragupta Temple