Ghantai TempleCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Ghantai Temple - Review
The Ghantai temple is one of the temples in the eastern group of Khajuraho Monuments. It is a depiction of one of the 16 dreams of Mahavira’s mother. It was known that Mahavira was the last teerthankara who walked on the earth. This temple was also built by rulers of the Chandela dynasty during the 11th century. Presently it is just a piece of ruin. But it can be clearly seen that this is of the same design as the Parshwanath Temple but almost double its dimensions.
The name ‘Ghantai’ is derived from the many motifs of bells carved on the narrow pillars of this temple. What remains now are the remains of the grand entrance and the main temple hall or the mahamandapa. Both of these are supported by four pillars each followed later by an ornate ceiling. The entrance has beautiful designs of oblong patterns. This temple was the simplest amongst all and was the most modestly built. The door wall has a carving of an eight armed figure of Yakshi Charesvari sitting on a Garuda.
The architecture that preside the doorway is of the 16 different symbols that were seen in the dreams of Mahavira’s mother. This temple is surrounded by other Jain temples of Parshwanath, Adinath and Shantinath.
Ghantai Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Ghantai Temple Ticket Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are-
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Ghantai Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are-
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To reach Ghantai Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Ghantai Temple
- Swiss Restaurant, Spice Garden Restaurant, Zaffron 1838, New Punjab, Safari Restaurant, Rakas, Italian Restaurant, Pramod Restaurant, Ganesh Restaurant, Aggarwal Restaurant, OKO, 24*7, Great Temple Restaurant, Panna.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Ghantai Temple
95% of people who visit Khajuraho include Ghantai Temple in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
45.87% of people start their Ghantai Temple visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Ghantai Temple
91.11% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ghantai Temple
Ghantai Temple Map
Ghantai Temple Trips
Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho Reviews
Nice Jain mandir...The temple, locally called Ghantai on account of the chain-and-bell (ghanta) motifs so prominently carved on its tall elegant pillars is situated to the south of the Khajuraho village. It is the fragmentary shall of a structure, which was essentially of the same design as the Parsvanatha temple but was grander in conception and nearly twice as large in dimensions. All that has survived is an entrance-porch and a mahamandapa, each resting on four tall pillars, supporting a flat ornate ceiling. The coffered ceiling of the entrance-porch is bordered by oblong panels, carved with exquisite groups of dancers and musicians. Its maha-mandapa, like that of the Parsvanatha, is entered through an elaborate doorway and was originally enclosed by a solid wall, of which only a few supporting pilasters have survived. The door-lintel displays centrally an eight-armed figure of yakshi Chakresvari, seated on Garuda. The architrave surmounting the doorway is carved with sixteen auspicious symbols seen in the dream by Jina Mahavira's mother at the time of conception. The similarly in plan and design between this and the Parsvanatha indicates that the two temples cannot be far removed from each other in date. Of the two, the Ghantai appears to be larger and slightly more evolved and is consequently datable to the end of the tenth century
Ghantai Temple is small and unique ruined Jain temple located eastern group of temples Sevagarm Khajuraho.It was dedicated to Jain Tirthankar Rishabhanath (Adinatha).A UNESCO world Heritage site.built 995 CE.A large sculpture now located in Khajuraho museum.Must visit with family and friends.
Temple is in dilapidated condition. May miss it if on a tight schedule.
It's the one of the silently and beautiful place and with the Small village
Walk through this temples and the old city
All QuestionsGhantai temple
- Centro Socio Pastorale
- A.Re.Fa. SRL
- Baie Del Salento
- Diocesi Di Ugento - S.M. Di Leuca
- Santuario Santa Marina Vergine
- Mare Vostrum, Isola Di Albarella
- Campeggio Vittoria
- La Margherita
- Gest.Vill.Turistici Rosapineta SAS Di P. Brazzalotto & C
- Malibù Di Porzionato Giuseppe & C. SNC
- Parrocchia S. Antonio
- Gest.Vill.Turistici Rosapineta SAS Cartolibreria
- Villaggio Turistico Rosapineta