Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho
Ghantai Temple - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
Ticket Price: 300 INR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 1.9K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Start making your vacation itineraries for an exciting trip
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho
The Ghantai temple is one of the temples in the eastern group of Khajuraho Monuments. It is a depiction of one of the 16 dreams of Mahavira’s mother. It was known that Mahavira was the last teerthankara who walked on the earth. This temple was also built by rulers of the Chandela dynasty during the 11th century. Presently it is just a piece of ruin. But it can be clearly seen that this is of the same design as the Parshwanath Temple but almost double its dimensions.
The name ‘Ghantai’ is derived from the many motifs of bells carved on the narrow pillars of this temple. What remains now are the remains of the grand entrance and the main temple hall or the mahamandapa. Both of these are supported by four pillars each followed later by an ornate ceiling. The entrance has beautiful designs of oblong patterns. This temple was the simplest amongst all and was the most modestly built. The door wall has a carving of an eight armed figure of Yakshi Charesvari sitting on a Garuda.
The architecture that preside the doorway is of the 16 different symbols that were seen in the dreams of Mahavira’s mother. This temple is surrounded by other Jain temples of Parshwanath, Adinath and Shantinath.
Ghantai Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Ghantai Temple Ticket Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are-
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Ghantai Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are-
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To reach Ghantai Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Ghantai Temple
- Swiss Restaurant, Spice Garden Restaurant, Zaffron 1838, New Punjab, Safari Restaurant, Rakas, Italian Restaurant, Pramod Restaurant, Ganesh Restaurant, Aggarwal Restaurant, OKO, 24*7, Great Temple Restaurant, Panna.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho Reviews
Ghantai Temple is small and unique ruined Jain temple located eastern group of temples Sevagarm Khajuraho.It was dedicated to Jain Tirthankar Rishabhanath (Adinatha).A UNESCO world Heritage site.built 995 CE.A large sculpture now located in Khajuraho museum.Must visit with family and friends.
It's the one of the silently and beautiful place and with the Small village
Walk through this temples and the old city
Very peaceful place
Creativity is the best