Kandariya Mahadev Temple435 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh- 471606, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
The Kandariya Temple is the highest in the complex of the Khajuraho Temples in the district of Chhattarpur. It was designed and built by the Chandela King Vidyadhara in the early 11th century. It was after Gazni Mahmud had invaded this region and kind of destroyed it.
This sophisticated and splendid temple is built in a western style. The Khajuraho Temple is at a distance above the primary entrance which has to be reached by climbing quite a few stairs. The main attraction in the entrance area is a sacred makara torana that is simply eye-catching.
The interior of the temple has intricately designed hallways, while the main hall has the prime deity of Lord Siva in the form of a linga. There is a lovely painting of a four-footed incarnation of Lord Shiva called Chatuspada. This form is the exclusive Sadashiva. The four legs here represent four different areas of the Shaivites. This form of Sadashiva has some obvious and some unobvious elements. It is considered as the strongest form of the Lord.
The other statues here are all exclusive forms of Lord Shiva such as Andhaka, the subduer of the evil, the dancing avatar or Natesha and the Tripurantaka or the devastator of the three giant evils. Research says that there are as many as 226 statues in the inside and 646 statues on the outside of the temple. These include beautiful female figurines, reptile angels and various forms of Lord Shiva.
The base part of this temple has seven deities of Mother Goddesses and also that of Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva as Vir Bhadra. The seven matrikas here are Aindri, Varahi, Vaishnavi, Kaumari, Maheshwari, Brahmani, Virbhadraa and Chamunda.
This very popular tourist attraction is protected by the Archeological Survey of India and is a World Heritage Site, protected by the UNESCO.
Kandariya Mahadev Temple Travel Tips
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kandariya Mahadev Temple
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are:
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians).
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners).
Kandariya Mahadev Temple Hours
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English: 6:00PM
- Hindi: 7:40 PM
How to Reach Kandariya Mahadev Temple
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
68.72% of people who visit Khajuraho include Kandariya Mahadev Temple in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.29% of people start their Kandariya Mahadev Temple visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kandariya Mahadev Temple
60.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kandariya Mahadev Temple