Kandariya Mahadev Temple Tours
About Kandariya Mahadev Temple, Khajuraho
The Kandariya Temple is the highest in the complex of the Khajuraho Temples in the district of Chhattarpur. It was designed and built by the Chandela King Vidyadhara in the early 11th century. It was after Gazni Mahmud had invaded this region and kind of destroyed it.
This sophisticated and splendid temple is built in a western style. The Khajuraho Temple is at a distance above the primary entrance which has to be reached by climbing quite a few stairs. The main attraction in the entrance area is a sacred makara torana that is simply eye-catching.
The interior of the temple has intricately designed hallways, while the main hall has the prime deity of Lord Siva in the form of a linga. There is a lovely painting of a four-footed incarnation of Lord Shiva called Chatuspada. This form is the exclusive Sadashiva. The four legs here represent four different areas of the Shaivites. This form of Sadashiva has some obvious and some unobvious elements. It is considered as the strongest form of the Lord.
The other statues here are all exclusive forms of Lord Shiva such as Andhaka, the subduer of the evil, the dancing avatar or Natesha and the Tripurantaka or the devastator of the three giant evils. Research says that there are as many as 226 statues in the inside and 646 statues on the outside of the temple. These include beautiful female figurines, reptile angels and various forms of Lord Shiva.
The base part of this temple has seven deities of Mother Goddesses and also that of Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva as Vir Bhadra. The seven matrikas here are Aindri, Varahi, Vaishnavi, Kaumari, Maheshwari, Brahmani, Virbhadraa and Chamunda.
This very popular tourist attraction is protected by the Archeological Survey of India and is a World Heritage Site, protected by the UNESCO.
Kandariya Mahadev Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Kandariya Mahadev Temple Tickets Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are:
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians).
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners).
Kandariya Mahadev Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English: 6:00PM
- Hindi: 7:40 PM
How To Get To Kandariya Mahadev Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Kandariya Mahadev Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Book Kandariya Mahadev Temple Tickets And Tours
Let's flee to Khajuraho, a religious haven that will send shivers down your spine with its very aphrodisiac appeal. One of the biggest attractions in North India, the city of Khajuraho is rightly termed as a 'Symbol of Medieval Heritage'. The city encases the largest group of medieval Hindu and Jain temples, famous for their erotic sculptures that present distinction in artistry and eminence in architectural style.
Travel worry-free from Khajuraho Airport to your hotel across the Amritsar city. Avoid the hassle of waiting in long taxi lines at the airport and arrive safely to your hotel with our private Car.
Make sure you don't miss your flight by booking private departure transfer from your Khajuraho hotels to the Khajuraho Airport. You will be greeted by English-speaking driver at your hotel and transferred on a private air-conditioned vehicle directly to the airport on time for your flight departure.
Enjoy the services of your local city expert to explore Khajuraho Kamasutra Temples your way on a private 4-hour walking tour. Your personal guide will assist you to plan your day in Khajuraho to suit your interests.
Share your experience - Rate Kandariya Mahadev Temple, Khajuraho
Best archeological place around the best. Incredible art, architect and sculptures. Best place on earth for married couples, students, researchers and archeologists to see and to know about the Kam- Sutra.
Good temple. Local guide mr Shyam Lal rajak knows the history very well.
Unbelievable architecture.. fantastic maintainace as well...awesome feelings
Very nice place.. I am dmlt secondry student goragaon haryana india.
Beautifully carved sculptures found in this temple.
- Other Attractions
- World Cypress King Garden
- Tibet Nyingchi Bayizhen National People's Congress
- Biri Shenshan Scenic Area
- She Jilashan
- Nyingtri Cygnet Hotel
- Basong Co
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near World Cypress King Garden
- Cheap Hotels Near Nyingchi County City Center
- Budget Hotels Near Tibet Nyingchi Bayizhen National People's Congress
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near 昊林大厦
- Cheap Hotels Near Biri Shenshan Scenic Area
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near She Jilashan
- Budget Hotels Near 林芝御江南酒店
- Budget Hotels Near Nyingtri Cygnet Hotel
- Budget Hotels Near Hasang
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Basong Co
- City Tripplans
- Khajuraho Itinerary 2 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 7 Days
- 8 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 6 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 4 Days
- 5 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 1 Day
- Khajuraho Itinerary 5 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 3 Days
- Trip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Delhi, Amritsar, Dharamshala, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Alleppey