Lakshmana Temple Tours
About Lakshmana Temple, Khajuraho
This temple is better known as The Lakshmana Temple. It is situated in the temple complex in the small village Khajuraho in Chattarpur District of Madhya Pradesh. This is the second highest amongst all the temples in this complex.
This temple was built by the great Chandela ruler, King Yashovarman in the 10th century. This is one of the most beautifully designed temples of the country. It is a dedication to Vaikuntha Vishnu, another avatar of Lord Vishnu.
This magnificent temple is situated on a high platform and boasts of the most uncommon art forms with very deep meanings. Like many other temples of this region, this temple is also made of sandstone and the basic design is of the ancient native Indian form. The temple surprises its visitors from the initial step. The majestic entrance forms an arch which is known as ‘ardhamandapa’. There is a huge hall which is used for performing rituals. There is also the intricately designed main temple hall and the Antaral and the secret chamber where the actual deity resides which is known as the ‘Garbagriha’.
The whole structure, if you see carefully is that of a chariot drawn by five horses. It is called a Pancharatha. The base is made of balconies and wonderfully designed fences and the upper part has statues of as many as 600 forms of Hindu Gods and Goddesses. The specialty over here is the stress on the erotic art forms of those times. This temple is said to have been the inspiration of the ‘Indian Book of Ancient Sex’, which is called the ‘Kama sutra’.
The first part of the temple’s entrance has seven straight sections. The main entrance after this has stunning structures of the various avatars and incarnations of the prime deity here. These include statues of Lord Narasimha, Lord Varaha and Bhagvan Brahma. The most unique attraction among these are the two sculptures here, firstly that of Goddess lakshmi standing in between Brahma and Vishnu and the other of Goddess Durga at the time of the Demon’s death.
The main idol here is of Lord Vaikuntha. This idol has three heads and four arms. This fantastic stone sculpture is accompanied by Narasimha or the lion avatar and Varaha or the boar avatar of the deity.
The other attractive features are the statues of beautiful women with their partners in love making postures which actually depict infertility. There are also lovely towers also known as Shikharas which have amazing designs on them. Besides these, there are also paintings and other art forms depicting processions, tracking, and fight scenes that will take you centuries back into the reign of the Chandelas. The entrance temple has some eye-catching designs of four temples on four sides and lotus motifs on the upper part of it and that of nymphs on the columns.
Lakshmana Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachchan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Lakshmana Temple Tickets Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are:
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians).
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners).
Lakshmana Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English: 6:00PM
- Hindi: 7:40 PM
How To Get To Lakshmana Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Lakshmana Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Book Lakshmana Temple Tickets And Tours
Let's flee to Khajuraho, a religious haven that will send shivers down your spine with its very aphrodisiac appeal. One of the biggest attractions in North India, the city of Khajuraho is rightly termed as a 'Symbol of Medieval Heritage'. The city encases the largest group of medieval Hindu and Jain temples, famous for their erotic sculptures that present distinction in artistry and eminence in architectural style.
Travel worry-free from Khajuraho Airport to your hotel across the Amritsar city. Avoid the hassle of waiting in long taxi lines at the airport and arrive safely to your hotel with our private Car.
Make sure you don't miss your flight by booking private departure transfer from your Khajuraho hotels to the Khajuraho Airport. You will be greeted by English-speaking driver at your hotel and transferred on a private air-conditioned vehicle directly to the airport on time for your flight departure.
Enjoy the services of your local city expert to explore Khajuraho Kamasutra Temples your way on a private 4-hour walking tour. Your personal guide will assist you to plan your day in Khajuraho to suit your interests.
Share your experience - Rate Lakshmana Temple, Khajuraho
The temple although named Lakshmana. ( brother of Hindu god Rama in Ramayana) is dedicated to Hindu God Vishnu. The entire temple complex stands on a high platform with four subsidiary shrines at the four corners of its rectangular platform. An architectural marvel worth a visit. world class temples famous for its erotic art. It gives a totally different experience
Very nice place. I am dmlt secondry student goragaon haryana india.
Lakshmana temple is part of the western group of temples and is one of the three biggest temples in Khajuraho. The temple although named Lakshmana ( brother of Hindu god Rama in Ramayana) is dedicated to Hindu God Vishnu. The entire temple complex stands on a high platform (Jagati) with four subsidiary shrines at the four corners of its rectangular platform. An architectural marvel worth a visit.
Great temple..One of the biggest in western groups of temple
By far Astonishing!! Mind=Blown
- Other Attractions
- Lingaraja Temple
- Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Udayagiri And Khandagiri Caves
- Dhauligiri Hills
- Shree Ram Mandir
- Rajarani Temple
- Mukteshvara Temple
- Museum Of Tribal Arts And Artifacts
- Odisha State Museum
- Chaunsathi Yogini Temple
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Lingaraja Temple
- 5 Star Hotels Near Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Cheap Hotels Near Udayagiri And Khandagiri Caves
- Luxury Hotels Near Dhauligiri Hills
- Hotels Near Shree Ram Mandir
- Hotels Near Rajarani Temple
- Hotels Near Mukteshvara Temple
- Luxury Hotels Near Museum Of Tribal Arts And Artifacts
- Luxury Hotels Near Odisha State Museum
- Luxury Hotels Near Chaunsathi Yogini Temple
- City Tripplans
- Khajuraho Itinerary 2 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 7 Days
- 8 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 6 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 4 Days
- 5 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 1 Day
- Khajuraho Itinerary 5 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 3 Days
- Trip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Delhi, Amritsar, Dharamshala, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Alleppey