Vamana TempleCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
The Vamana Temple is a part of the western group of the Khajuraho Monuments. It was built during the Chandela era around the 11th century. This is a medium size temple surrounded by a lovely scene. This has different looks in every season, from the lush greenery to golden yellow during the harvest time.
The porch has diminished completely with time and unfortunately without it the temple looks bare. The temple consists of a sanctum and an inner hall. All these are dedicated to the Vamana Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Mythology says that once upon a time there was an arrogant king and the Lord went on earth as a dwarf (vamana) to teach him a lesson. He requested the king for just as much land as would be needed by him to cover in three steps. The king thought he was joking and accepted his request. In the first step the dwarf covered the whole earth, in the second the whole universe and there was no more space left after this. The king had already realized his mistake and begged the Lord to keep his third step on his head in the form of his blessing.
The temple like all the other temples in the western group is beautifully carved with over 3000 figures of gods, goddesses and their consorts.
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians).
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners).
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
33.52% of people who visit Khajuraho include Vamana Temple in their plan
47.06% of people start their Vamana Temple visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Vamana Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vamana Temple
Eastern group of temple in good condition. A bicycle ride is enjoying here.
A place of worship with great historical importance. It is a part of Khajuraho Eastern Group of temples and in village. Vamana temples are very rare as well.
It's a best historical place. I will want to visit again in future If you can go to this place please gives more time to saw this temple it's chitrakari ki awesome and creative . It's architecture is great and like imposible to make again this type building. I love this building architecture . Must visite in this temple .
Vamana temple is located at eastern part of khajuraho. This temple comes first when you enter eastern group of temples. This temple is dedicated to vamana, incarnation of lord Vishnu. These temples are not that big as western group of temples.
Here one can see the vamana avatar of Lord Vishnu!