Vamana TempleCurrently Closed
- Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Vamana Temple - Review
The Vamana Temple is a part of the western group of the Khajuraho Monuments. It was built during the Chandela era around the 11th century. This is a medium size temple surrounded by a lovely scene. This has different looks in every season, from the lush greenery to golden yellow during the harvest time.
The porch has diminished completely with time and unfortunately without it the temple looks bare. The temple consists of a sanctum and an inner hall. All these are dedicated to the Vamana Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Mythology says that once upon a time there was an arrogant king and the Lord went on earth as a dwarf (vamana) to teach him a lesson. He requested the king for just as much land as would be needed by him to cover in three steps. The king thought he was joking and accepted his request. In the first step the dwarf covered the whole earth, in the second the whole universe and there was no more space left after this. The king had already realized his mistake and begged the Lord to keep his third step on his head in the form of his blessing.
The temple like all the other temples in the western group is beautifully carved with over 3000 figures of gods, goddesses and their consorts.
Vamana Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Vamana Temple Ticket Prices
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians).
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners).
Vamana Temple Hours
Light & Sound show timings are:
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To reach Vamana Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Vamana Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Vamana Temple
33.71% of people who visit Khajuraho include Vamana Temple in their plan
47.06% of people start their Vamana Temple visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Vamana Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vamana Temple
Vamana Temple Trips
Vamana Temple, Khajuraho Reviews
Nice hindu temple...Vamana temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Vamana, an avatar of the god Vishnu. The temple was built between assignable to circa 1050-75. It forms part of the Khajuraho Group of Monuments, a UNESCO World Heritage Site The temple is located in the eastern area of Khajuraho. It is situated about 200 meters to the north-east to Brahma Temple.
A different shorter temple than other huge temples of khajuraho.
Nice and calm and clean place. It’s in eastern group of Khajuraho and nearby to Jowari temple. Less crowded though.
situated in eastern group of temples, its a marvelous piece of architecture, sculpting and craftsmanship. Simply brilliant
A standalone temple in Eastern temples of Khajuraho. Preserved well. No tickets required. Overall experience is good.