Varaha Temple, KhajurahoCurrently Open
- Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 300 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
About Varaha Temple, Khajuraho
Varaha is depicted as an animal or a combination of half human and half beast in all art forms. In the more popular form, it is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu with a head of a boar on a human body, having four arms. Two arms hold two maces or lotuses or swords or simply make a gesture of blessing and between the other two, one has a conch and the other a wheel. The Earth is held between the boar’s tusks.
According to mythology, Lord Vishnu appeared in his Varaha Avatar to defeat Hiranyakashyapa. He was a demon and was destroying the earth by taking it till the bottom of what is depicted as a cosmic ocean in the stories. The battle between the demon and Lord Vishnu is said to have went on for a thousand years and at the end the demon was defeated. After this Varaha carried the earth from the bottom of the ocean and came out of the water to place it in the right place in the universe. He married Bhudevi in this avatar.
The Varaha Temple is one of the monuments in the Khajuraho Group of Monuments that are protected by the Archeological Survey of India. It is also said to have been built by the Chandela ruler in the 1st century. The shrine is built on a raised platform and has a pyramidal roof. The design is plain as compared to the other temples in the group. The temple rests on fourteen pillars that are not at all carved. The temple is completely made of sandstone.
Inside the temple is the huge idol of the Lord Varaha. The body of Varaha is filled with carvings among which the most beautiful is that of the Goddess Saraswati playing her veena.
Varaha Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
- There are also exclusive audio guides available here.
Varaha Temple Ticket Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are-
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Varaha Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are-
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To reach Varaha Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Varaha Temple
- Swiss Restaurant, Spice Garden Restaurant, Zaffron 1838, New Punjab, Safari Restaurant, Rakas, Italian Restaurant, Pramod Restaurant, Ganesh Restaurant, Aggarwal Restaurant, OKO, 24*7, Great Temple Restaurant, Panna.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Varaha Temple, Khajuraho Reviews
The Varaha Temple at Khajuraho (Devanagri: वराह मंदिर) enshrines a colossal monolithic image of Varaha, the boar incarnation of Lord Vishnu. This temple depicts Varaha as a purely animal form. The temple is located in the Western Group of Temple Complex Khajuraho Group of Monuments, a World Heritage Site inscribed by UNESCO in 1986 in Khajuraho. Khajuraho is a small village in Chattarpur District of Madhya Pradesh, India.
This is beautiful small Temple dedicated to God Vishnu third Avatar Varaha located in the western group of temple Khajuraho complexand front of Laxman Temple Rajnagar Road Khajuraho. This Mandir depicts Varaha as a purely animal form. This Mandir must visit with family and friends.
Best place to visit with friend. Good place for those who have interest in history.
Very beautiful Temple. Sit and relax here. One can see great Artisan work in it.
This is a hindu temple but here's nature and peace is for all human beings.