Viswanath Temple, Khajuraho
Viswanath Temple, Khajuraho - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Rajnagar Road, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
Ticket Price: 300 INR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 2.3K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Viswanath Temple, Khajuraho
This is another form of the developed Khajuraho style of architecture. This is a member of the whole Khajuraho Group of Monuments which is a protected site by the Archeological Survey of India. This was built in the very early 11th century by the Chandela ruler, Dhanga.
This temple initially had four subsidiary shrines. Now after so many years and repeated enemy invasions only two of the shrines can be seen as remnants of the previous glory and charm. These shrines were on the four sides of the raised platform on which the temple was built. This is the reason for which the temple is called ‘Panchayatana’.
The architectural style has been found to be the one of that built just before the Kandariya Temple. There is an inscription inside the temple which makes it clear that the temple was dedicated to Lord Shiva Marakateshwara. There were initially two shivalingas established in the temple, one of simple stone and the other of pure emerald. Presently, only the former one remains and the other has been taken away during one of the many invasions. Another attraction is the massive statue of Nandi the Bull.
The two most stunning attractions in this temple are the statues of two attractive women, one of whom is shown plucking out a thorn stuck in her foot and the other sitting in a beautiful posture and playing a flute.
Viswanath Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Viswanath Temple Ticket Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are-
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Viswanath Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are-
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To reach Viswanath Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Viswanath Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.