Viswanath Temple Tours
About Viswanath Temple, Khajuraho
This is another form of the developed Khajuraho style of architecture. This is a member of the whole Khajuraho Group of Monuments which is a protected site by the Archeological Survey of India. This was built in the very early 11th century by the Chandela ruler, Dhanga.
This temple initially had four subsidiary shrines. Now after so many years and repeated enemy invasions only two of the shrines can be seen as remnants of the previous glory and charm. These shrines were on the four sides of the raised platform on which the temple was built. This is the reason for which the temple is called ‘Panchayatana’.
The architectural style has been found to be the one of that built just before the Kandariya Temple. There is an inscription inside the temple which makes it clear that the temple was dedicated to Lord Shiva Marakateshwara. There were initially two shivalingas established in the temple, one of simple stone and the other of pure emerald. Presently, only the former one remains and the other has been taken away during one of the many invasions. Another attraction is the massive statue of Nandi the Bull.
The two most stunning attractions in this temple are the statues of two attractive women, one of whom is shown plucking out a thorn stuck in her foot and the other sitting in a beautiful posture and playing a flute.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Khajuraho before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Khajuraho and book an accommodation of your choice.
Viswanath Temple Information
- Do not miss out on the light and sound show. The voice over has been done by the famous Amitabh Bachhan in his deep voice. This transfers you to the ancient Chandela Era and is very educational also.
- The best time to visit is from October to March and avoid the extreme summers and then the monsoons.
- Photography is freely allowed inside.
- The annual dance shows are held during the last week of February every year.
Viswanath Temple Tickets Prices
Ticket prices of the light & sound show are-
- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)
- Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Viswanath Temple Opening and Closing Hours
Light & Sound show timings are-
- English- 6:00PM
- Hindi- 7:40 PM
How To Get To Viswanath Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Town Airport.
- The nearest railway station is the Mahoba Junction.
Restaurants Near Viswanath Temple
- Swiss Restaurant
- Spice Garden Restaurant
- Zaffron 1838
- New Punjab
- Safari Restaurant
- Italian Restaurant
- Pramod Restaurant
- Ganesh Restaurant
- Aggarwal Restaurant
- Great Temple Restaurant
Book Viswanath temple Tickets And Tours
Let's flee to Khajuraho, a religious haven that will send shivers down your spine with its very aphrodisiac appeal. One of the biggest attractions in North India, the city of Khajuraho is rightly termed as a 'Symbol of Medieval Heritage'. The city encases the largest group of medieval Hindu and Jain temples, famous for their erotic sculptures that present distinction in artistry and eminence in architectural style.
Travel worry-free from Khajuraho Airport to your hotel across the Amritsar city. Avoid the hassle of waiting in long taxi lines at the airport and arrive safely to your hotel with our private Car.
Make sure you don't miss your flight by booking private departure transfer from your Khajuraho hotels to the Khajuraho Airport. You will be greeted by English-speaking driver at your hotel and transferred on a private air-conditioned vehicle directly to the airport on time for your flight departure.
Enjoy the services of your local city expert to explore Khajuraho Kamasutra Temples your way on a private 4-hour walking tour. Your personal guide will assist you to plan your day in Khajuraho to suit your interests.
Share your experience - Rate Viswanath Temple, Khajuraho
This temple displays the social and cultural life of this area 1100 hundred years back.
Historic temple delicated to lord shiva
Gives you a nice picture of a glorious past.
A good temple just like laxaman temple with Varah mandap in front of temple and dedicated to lord Vishnu
Very nic temple is world is best......
- Other Attractions
- Meenakshi Amman Temple
- Thirumalain Nayakar Mahal
- Gandhi Memorial Museum
- Koodal Azhagar Temple
- Alagar Koyil
- Samanar Caves
- Puthu Mandapam
- Aayiram Kaal Mandapam
- Thiruparankundram Murugan Temple
- Gorippalayam Dargah
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Meenakshi Amman Temple
- Hotels Near Thirumalain Nayakar Mahal
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Gandhi Memorial Museum
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Koodal Azhagar Temple
- 5 Star Hotels Near Alagar Koyil
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Samanar Caves
- Cheap Hotels Near Puthu Mandapam
- Luxury Hotels Near Aayiram Kaal Mandapam
- Cheap Hotels Near Thiruparankundram Murugan Temple
- Luxury Hotels Near Gorippalayam Dargah
- City Tripplans
- Khajuraho Itinerary 2 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 7 Days
- 8 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 6 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 4 Days
- 5 Day Trip to Khajuraho from Khajuraho
- Khajuraho Itinerary 1 Day
- Khajuraho Itinerary 5 Days
- Khajuraho Itinerary 3 Days
- Trip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Delhi, Amritsar, Dharamshala, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Alleppey